New York Life

Anyone here worked with New York Life. I am currently talking to recruiting. Any thoughts about this company, it's atmosphere, good and bad, etc.
I was with NYL over 10 years ago. I think they can be a great company. However as has been pointed out here numerous times, the company is only part of the equation. The most important thing will be your local manager. What is he going to do to help you be successful. And yes I think he should do much more than make you do a project 100 or 200.

Never heard of them.

You know as an agent I always forget how little consumers know about companies....I remember watching workers applying the NYL logo to the office door and being a pro-active agent who happened to be dropping off an app at the office I struck up a conversation, the guy looked me right in the eye and asked if we sold magazines...

I'll be sitting and watching television with my wife and sometimes after a 1 hour show has completed I ask her if she noticed the insurance ads that ran as commercials..she might remember P&C ads but she misses Pac Life, NYL and other LIFE & Health ads all the time.

Don't worry about the company, worry about the agency. Your question to the recruiter/manager should be "what are you going to do for me?"

Being part of a career agency means you'll give up part of the commissions that you'd otherwise collect, but if you're new and have no idea what you are doing you should be very willing to do this, since success alone is very unlikely.

As Norway said, they need to bring more to the table than just helping you market to a project 100 or 200. Even those of us who aren't in management could do that. Don't be afraid to piss them off with this question. If they can't offer up much, taking a job there just means you'll have to explain to someone else later why New York Life, or any insurance company, shows up on your résumé for only a couple of months.

Oh and just to prepare you, most want you to be an agent, but they are hoping that you'll figure the whole agent thing out on your own once you're done splitting commissions with either the manager or an "experienced" agent. In other words suck out the good parts and leave the rest for you to figure out. Treat job offers from an insurance company like you are out buying something--they need to win you over. Remember, all those sales managers started out selling insurance, most of them weren't that good at it, so they moved on to something else.

I would agree with everyone elses posts. After a 7 step interview process and their four week trainging program, I decided it was not for me. I wasn't going to call my 100 closest friends or my parents friends to buy coverage. NYL is a good company with high rankings but so are all or most of all mutual life insurance companies. I felt it was in my best interest to not to be a captive agent and take my client to the best company that was going to look at them most favorably per their health conditions. The most important question is to has how your manager/partner is going to assist you in being successful. Also, ask about orphan cases/clients.

I'll be sitting and watching television with my wife and sometimes after a 1 hour show has completed I ask her if she noticed the insurance ads that ran as commercials..she might remember P&C ads but she misses Pac Life, NYL and other LIFE & Health ads all the time.

Definitely suggests that the P&C companies do a lot better job delivering their message. Or perhaps it is simply that they inundate us with ads. I've seen many shows that completely lack a life ad, but are stuffed full of Allstate and State Farm ads. Other than the occasional Assurant ad, I never see a health ad. I won't count Aflac as health, but even Aflac barely advertises in comparison to the P&C companies.

Definitely suggests that the P&C companies do a lot better job delivering their message. Or perhaps it is simply that they inundate us with ads. I've seen many shows that completely lack a life ad, but are stuffed full of Allstate and State Farm ads. Other than the occasional Assurant ad, I never see a health ad. I won't count Aflac as health, but even Aflac barely advertises in comparison to the P&C companies.

I think it has to do with how Auto and Homeowners are required by law or lendors and is more part of peoples lives where as Life needs to be sold and so most consumers are unaware of life companies ads...Add to that that most of these ads are about image you don't see them saying things like but life from us or we can help you with di...No they show you a way or say the company you keep.

Here's my rule...

If the insurance company feels the need to run television adds, it's most likely because they feel they have image issues they are trying to change.

This includes the Prudential and Massmutual adds that attempt to make the companies appear more as financial planning firms.

Back