Newb in NC

trupunx94

So I recently passed my property and casualty insurance tests. I have the licenses but I forgot to do the fingerprints. I'm actually writing this from the office right now. The one question I have is, "just how do you approach people so I can sell insurance?" I want to have a good performance and not disappoint here. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

As some background info-I'm 20, studying in college, and reaaaaallly shy. And at the moment really nervous.

Don't Get into Insurance as an agent, shy guys don't make it.

If you want to get into the industry go the UW route work up that line. Get into Commercial UW.

Are you a math Guy? Get an actuary degree and get on the carrier side as a Product manager.

Nothing about your original post says "I am a hunter, get out of my way, I need to hunt"!" Shy does not cut it in the Insurance world of Sales.

The industry needs every type, find the place in the industry you fit in the most and go for it. Just not sure from your first post Sales is it.

So I recently passed my property and casualty insurance tests. I have the licenses but I forgot to do the fingerprints. I'm actually writing this from the office right now. The one question I have is, "just how do you approach people so I can sell insurance?" I want to have a good performance and not disappoint here. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

As some background info-I'm 20, studying in college, and reaaaaallly shy. And at the moment really nervous.

Shy and Insurance SALES don't mix.

Go into underwriting or IT if you want to stay in the insurance field otherwise you are wasting your time. .02

So I recently passed my property and casualty insurance tests. I have the licenses but I forgot to do the fingerprints. I'm actually writing this from the office right now. The one question I have is, "just how do you approach people so I can sell insurance?" I want to have a good performance and not disappoint here. Any tips are greatly appreciated. As some background info-I'm 20, studying in college, and reaaaaallly shy. And at the moment really nervous.

Where in nc? I am always hiring.

Mehdi was shy and I don't think he would agree with getting out of the business for that reason alone. Now, if you can't get past it enough to meet people, then you're going to be in trouble.

With P&C I don't feel like being shy will affect you as much. P&C is a need. The most important thing you can do is ensure that people know what you do and that you have what they need. See if your local chamber of commerce has a networking group for younger professionals. Meet people. Find a niche that your company (or companies) excels at. If you work for State Farm focus on learning auto and then go meet some car salesmen. There are times (not all the time) when insurance payments can determine if they make a sale or not.

If you have a competitive Homeowners product network with realtors and mortgage brokers (they are like gold especially with first time home buyers.)

If you ever plan on selling Life then you are going to have to figure out a way to get over being shy.

Being shy is your weakness but you can overcome it with strong customer service and product knowledge. Being a likeable well known person in my opinion is more valuable than being a salesman in this industry.

I met an engineer this weekend who works for Lockheed Martin. I met this engineer with another engineer acquaintance tied to my hip. Lets just say these two engineers where not helping the conversation flow. When it was over the Engineer acquaintance openly admitted that "without sales guys in the world nothing would get done."

If Original poster is not a sales guy, he will fail if he is anything like the engineers I was hanging with this weekend.

With P&C I don't feel like being shy will affect you as much. P&C is a need. The most important thing you can do is ensure that people know what you do and that you have what they need. See if your local chamber of commerce has a networking group for younger professionals. Meet people. Find a niche that your company (or companies) excels at. If you work for State Farm focus on learning auto and then go meet some car salesmen. There are times (not all the time) when insurance payments can determine if they make a sale or not.

If you have a competitive Homeowners product network with realtors and mortgage brokers (they are like gold especially with first time home buyers.)

If you ever plan on selling Life then you are going to have to figure out a way to get over being shy.

Being shy is your weakness but you can overcome it with strong customer service and product knowledge. Being a likeable well known person in my opinion is more valuable than being a salesman in this industry.

Excellent advise, you obviously know your way around a P&C Agency...

The OP should look at working in an established agency and would do well to start in personal lines and work their system.

The OP must have the work ethic to do well in sales (not just insurance).... Personal P&C is about pricing and need more than true salesmanship.... That can be learned and taught over time by taking Sandler Training or similar self improvement workshops, etc.

Good luck to the OP....

Skipper

I am also a new agent. I got licensed in P&C in August after graduating college last December. Although I am not shy, I initially found it very nerve racking trying to approach established business leaders and overcome the learning curve.

My advice would be to find a mentor in your area who is in their late 20's early 30's that is still very active in growing their book of business. See if they will let you shadow them and observe how they interact with prospects. After you have a good grasp on that, see if they will help you out of your comfort zone by going in on cold calls with you and having you take the lead (introduce yourself and give your pitch). Do this for about a week and then go out on your own everyday and force yourself to cold call on businesses. The fear is intense at first and you are gonna find every excuse in your brain to tell yourself why you shouldn't, but DO IT. Cold call on every business you pass. This is not an effective way of getting sales, but it will get you used to talking to complete strangers and you will feel extremely proud of yourself after overcoming your fears. After about 2 months it feels natural. You will suck at first (I still pretty much suck and alter my techniques every day) but you see yourself getting better and it becomes fun.

Also, join a few networking/service groups in your area. Get your name and face out there. Like I said, we are only a few months apart in our careers, and I have been doing everything I just listed and it has helped immensely. I can now approach basically anyone without worrying how they will receive me. You will feel disheartened at times, but most people are polite and willing to give you 5 mins and listen to what you have to say.

Good Luck, GET OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE, and let me know if you have any other concerns because I am probably going through the same types of things.

All the advice in the world won't get you to open your mouth and ask for a sale. I am also very much an introvert, but just had to get used to powering through the discomfort. I wasn't even in insurance when I picked up How i Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling by Frank Bettger. Read it. It changed my perspective. Then go out after work. To a store, a bar, wherever you can meet people and have 5 different conversations with a complete stranger. Doesn't matter how brief it is. Best rule to remember is people love talking about themselves. Once youve started a conversation, just ask some non intrusive personal questions. Practice practice. You can do it. There is no one good answer for getting leads. Different things work for different people. Just break yourself out of your shell and you'll get there. Best of luck.

Back