Newbie Training Questions

Okay, I've decided to look into a side business / possible career change. I'm just starting to gather information about becoming an insurance agent. Here is my frustration. I cannot find the basic material that covers the state pre-license exams. Everyone wants to offer a course for $80 or more. Surely the information has to be available at no charge somewhere. I'm in Kansas. Does anyone know where I might find this?

Also, I've enjoyed reading some of the threads and plan on checking regularly to provide supplemental education (real life examples). Does anyone have any other advice for someone who is extremely green?

I understand the desire to do things for free. However if $80 is keeping you from getting a license you're looking at the wrong business.

Rick

Yeah, this business takes money. But if you're a decent salesman, then find a primerica guy, make him think you'll get him rich if he buys your training stuff and get your license. Promptly change your number

----------

Also: best advice for someone looking to do this part time- don't. This business is people's money, assets and families; if you can't devote a full 40 to your clients then you don't deserve any.

Okay, I've decided to look into a side business / possible career change. I'm just starting to gather information about becoming an insurance agent. Here is my frustration. I cannot find the basic material that covers the state pre-license exams. Everyone wants to offer a course for $80 or more. Surely the information has to be available at no charge somewhere. I'm in Kansas. Does anyone know where I might find this?

Also, I've enjoyed reading some of the threads and plan on checking regularly to provide supplemental education (real life examples). Does anyone have any other advice for someone who is extremely green?

Every business venture starts off with an investment. That investment can be time or money spent. You can scrap the interwebs to find every tid bit of information on insurance through blogs, videos, free training that you can get your hands on spending hours and hours of your time to research that information.

Or you can spend the $80 or w/e price amount to learn from someone that's already done all that for you and developed a course or a training regiment to go through.

It's no different than the business you're trying to start. You want people to buy policies "Pay you" for the valuable information you provide them, and that you took the time to learn so you can assess their needs properly. If you're not ready to make the investment, then you're not ready to be a business owner. Just being honest.

Allow me to translate what was said in the first post.

I put no value upon the knowledge of others. I want it for free. However, I do want people to pay me for my knowledge. I am completely unprepared for the rude awakening that is coming my way.

My agency gets promo through AD Banker and cost $40, guarantee you pass or refund. But you would have to sign up for my agency for $49. At least you will have all the training online for sales etc. It's a MLM company.

Here's what you should know also. The cost of becoming a agent here in California but I'm sure it's close to what anyone looking to spend.

Ad Banker $40-80 (32hr)
DOI test $60-70
Background check $80 (1-4week)
DOI fee $168 (1-4wk)
E&O $111 down plus $29 per month

Join agency and take advantage of agents or go an ethical route. Up to you! GL

Wow. I cannot believe the lack of cordialness. My guess is that some spend more time on here trying to put others down. Which is usually a sign of feeling inadequate.

First, I never said I was not willing to spend any money. However, it does not make sense to me to pay for something that is free. The question was simply "is" the information available for free. And if anyone had any other basic advice on where or how to get started. I was able to find the information on my own. Allowing me to spend the $80 on something that actually has value.

That being said, let me give some non-insurance advice. If you want to just give money to someone for something you can obtain for free, send me a PM. I can take care of all your needs. When answering others on a forum, if you don't understand the question, either ask for clarity or simply stay silent. I'm pretty sure this forum was created as a place to share knowledge. If you need some place insult others or just complain, please get involved with your local Democratic Party.

Back