Newby to Insurance in the State of Arkansas

Leo1971

I was recently hired as a administrative assistant in a insurance office but was told to work there I needed my P&C licenses plus my Life&Health. I've obtained the first and working on getting the next one. I'm being paid hourly but was never mentioned anything about receiving any commissions on policy's that I did the work for. I'm a little confused about my job title and what's expected of me? I've also put a lot of time and money into these classes and passing the state insurance exams to not make any more money then I'm being paid now. It's just me and my boss working in this office. Is it possible that he wants me to do the work of getting the business and not receive any extra compensation for it since I am getting paid hourly? Just very confused...and hoping that's not the case! :confused::skeptical:

Sounds like you have been misled. Have a heart to heart talk and get everything in writing. Not get mad or make threats or quit. Just talk and listen. If it is not what you were told or is not to your satisfaction start looking for something else. If your are an AA only they should have paid for the license.

I was recently hired as a administrative assistant in a insurance office but was told to work there I needed my P&C licenses plus my Life&Health. I've obtained the first and working on getting the next one. I'm being paid hourly but was never mentioned anything about receiving any commissions on policy's that I did the work for. I'm a little confused about my job title and what's expected of me? I've also put a lot of time and money into these classes and passing the state insurance exams to not make any more money then I'm being paid now. It's just me and my boss working in this office. Is it possible that he wants me to do the work of getting the business and not receive any extra compensation for it since I am getting paid hourly? Just very confused...and hoping that's not the case! :confused::skeptical:

iT'S TIME FOR A "HEART TO HEART." If HE'S VAGUE, NON-COMMITTAL AND OR UNWILLING TO PUT YOUR JOB DESCRIPTION IN WRITING, IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON AND LET THE EDUCATION WORK FOR "YOU." ;)

Search the keyword 'NEW'. Read the most recent posts on this. You are getting porked. Paying for your own licensing too? Lol, you are getting porked without any lube.

There is no shortage to the amount of people that will take advantage of you simply because you don't know any better.

Do some research.

Sent from my iPhone using InsForums

Thank you for the advice and I'll defiantly put it to use.

----------

Yes I think your right! Defiantly being taken advantage of and once I get my next test passed and license I'll be looking for a new job. Thanks for your advice to! Lol

Thank you for the advice and I'll defiantly put it to use.

----------

Yes I think your right! Defiantly being taken advantage of and once I get my next test passed and license I'll be looking for a new job. Thanks for your advice to! Lol

Definitely or defiantly or a little of both?????:err:

Since you are in an office that's offering insurance, it's just normal that everyone have a license. I'd ask it of anyone working for me.

It doesn't mean you are getting screwed, it just means that anyone who might talk about insurance with a client of the agency is licensed to do so. You might also have to fill out some paperwork that requires a licensed agent. As the assistant, it wouldn't be uncommon to have to take an application for a client that the person you work for sold. Remember you are getting paid by the agency. Taking an application or answering questions for people doesn't mean you sold the case and deserve commissions.

They disclosed up front you'd need the licenses in order to work there.

I do think it's reasonable to get paid for the time you are doing it and maybe even to be reimbursed for the courses, exams and licensing fees. In fact, that's pretty common. It wouldn't hurt to ask but I wouldn't insist if you didn't negotiate that up front when it was disclosed to you.

As far as what is expected of you, it's probably just to do what they ask you to do each day.

If you start having to get on the phone to make sales calls then that might be different. Then the heart to heart talk might be appropriate. But not until then.

Last edited:
Back