Newby to Insurance in the State of Arkansas

Leo1971

I was recently hired as a administrative assistant in a insurance office but was told to work there I needed my P&C licenses plus my Life&Health. I've obtained the first and working on getting the next one. I'm being paid hourly but was never mentioned anything about receiving any commissions on policy's that I did the work for. I'm a little confused about my job title and what's expected of me? I've also put a lot of time and money into these classes and passing the state insurance exams to not make any more money then I'm being paid now. It's just me and my boss working in this office. Is it possible that he wants me to do the work of getting the business and not receive any extra compensation for it since I am getting paid hourly? Just very confused...and hoping that's not the case! :confused::skeptical:

I was recently hired as a administrative assistant in a insurance office but was told to work there I needed my P&C licenses plus my Life&Health. I've obtained the first and working on getting the next one. I'm being paid hourly but was never mentioned anything about receiving any commissions on policy's that I did the work for. I'm a little confused about my job title and what's expected of me? I've also put a lot of time and money into these classes and passing the state insurance exams to not make any more money then I'm being paid now. It's just me and my boss working in this office. Is it possible that he wants me to do the work of getting the business and not receive any extra compensation for it since I am getting paid hourly? Just very confused...and hoping that's not the case! :confused::skeptical:

I've got a great idea :idea: , talk to your boss and ask him for a job description. Ask him about the details you're concerned about.

Usually administrative people that wrk in insurance offices have to be licensed. Otherwise they are very limited as to what they can legally do and just answering the phone can cross the line of what an unlicensed person can do. It's very likely he just wants you to do admin work rather than sales.

The only red flag is that you had to pay for your own license. That's unusual for an office staff.

But look at it as an opportunity either way. You are about to learn lots of skills that you don't currently have. And you will be paid a small salary during your tuition. This makes you a higher value person on the job market a year or two from now if this place doesn't go the way you want it to.

I would set down with my boss and gain an understanding of what I am being compensated for. If I am receiving no commission I would ask to be reimbursed for the licensing money I spent. If they won't do it I would keep cool and bid my time while I am looking for a better situation.

Back