Is This Normal for Agency Training?

Newandconfused

I was hired to sell commercial P&C (no personal lines) four months ago for a relatively large agency several months ago. During this time, I have received no product training other then the week I spent getting my license (which we all know is not product training.)

The agency doesn't do any marketing and obviously there is no budgetary support for that type of thing. I have been cold-calling with some success, and may close a few rather large accounts by the end of this months (ranging from 100k in premium to 400k in premium.) The training received on prospecting/cold calling has been more numbers based (here's the numbers needed in your funnel) vs. technique.

I am beginning to think that i came into this with very skewed expectations of what the trianing would be - I really thought that they would be engaged in trying to set me up for success. The agency president really seems to want me to be successful but I don't think he knows how to help.

Is this normal?

I can't answer if it is normal, but it is not unusual, particularly for a larger P&C agency. I started out in a larger P&C agency, and they didn't really have a training program for new agents. Most probably hire agents with at least some experience either as a producer or insurance company employee (reps, UWers).

Basically, for marketing, their program was here is your phone, here are the Manufacturing and Service directories, go get 'em!
When I wasn't doing something else productive, I pounded the phone. I did ride along with a couple of the more experienced agents on a few appointmenst, and that helped me get an idea of what I should be doing out in the field (I was brand new to insurance sales). I also brought experienced agents and senior CSRs on closing appointments a few times to help get me through the learning curve.

As far as product knowledge, learn your forms and pick the brains of the knowledgable agents and CSRs. I sure did. One senior CSR really helped me a lot and we had quite a few sit downs as I was learning the ropes. If it is a good agency and they really want you to succeed, as you have indicated is the case, they will no doubt help you in any way they can. But it will probably be more of a learn by doing as it was for me.

So building a commercial book of business is really done through telemarketing/cold calling? God that's discouraging.

I am new to this area (no family or extensive network of college or high school buddies to fall back on...)

Wondering if there's a "fast" start up or something that I am overlooking or even a relatively inexpensive marketing plan I could try on my own.

Even if you did have friends and family in the area, it wouldn't help you much. To get started cold calling is the name of the game. After you build up a base and if you do a good job you will begin to get referrals. From my experience friends and family provide very little support in this industry.

Back