Northwestern Mutual - Is This Possible?

All in all, I'm glad at least some people are providing feedback in regards to not reaching out to my friends and family. I've been going to their training session for the last 5 days and my suggestions on reaching to people outside of my networks have been beaten down brutally and it's been tough realizing that all the other interns have seem to have been convinced that their friends and family are the only way to go. It's scary how fast these motivational speakers can convince you to start out with your own networks - I think I heard a lot of "Rolex" and "6 figures in first year" in their speech.

So it's ok to screw over strangers, just not family? Its a joke, but do remember, if you wouldn't sell this to your family because you don't believe in it enough, why are you selling it to a stranger?

On a serious note, its sad to see that everyone misses the real value of the Project 200. Trainers included. The real value is to get practice and referrals. Don't set it up necessarily as a sales meeting. "John, I've just started with a great company where I really believe I can help people. But I need your help, when can I buy you a cup of coffee and show you what I do? John, after I show you what I am doing now, I need your help with introductions to people that would benefit from what I do."

If you do it right, you will get referrals, and you will have friends and family that want to buy. But they will buy because they choose to after seeing your opening, not because you tried to press them into it. Now, that kind of approach will make it even harder to get those 40 lives, and based on what you said about that office, I don't think they'd care for that approach either.

The fact that you are stuck with a project 200 and getting referrals is why 40 lives is going to be near impossible. More importantly, at NML, you shouldn't be looking for 50/month term cases. You are going to need 100-200/month or more WL cases if you ever want to pay the bills at NML.

Last edited:
On a serious note, its sad to see that everyone misses the real value of the Project 200. Trainers included. The real value is to get practice and referrals. Don't set it up necessarily as a sales meeting. "John, I've just started with a great company where I really believe I can help people. But I need your help, when can I buy you a cup of coffee and show you what I do? John, after I show you what I am doing now, I need your help with introductions to people that would benefit from what I do."

That's b/c you are assuming that the subject of the Project 200 is the new agent. In reality, the subject is the office management and their go-to agents who will get 1/2 of that premium credit and have those policies and any referrals to milk down the road. It is a brilliant referral technique. NMFN is not about the agents - it is about the management.

That's b/c you are assuming that the subject of the Project 200 is the new agent. In reality, the subject is the office management and their go-to agents who will get 1/2 of that premium credit and have those policies and any referrals to milk down the road. It is a brilliant referral technique. NMFN is not about the agents - it is about the management.

That is true, be leary of any office where you only joint work partners are other agents who demand a cut of the commission. The manager gets paid an override for a reason. If management won't do joint work for just the override, run!

Can we make a correction that is driving me nuts? It is NML not NWL; now for your success in the business, you might want to check with your GA and see who gets the renewals as an intern... You should also, as had been mentioned know your products really well, then ask yourself do I believe in this enough to own it myself? If yes, you better buy it, and figure out why you did. If no, you better do something else. Integrity is what will give you longevity.

you might want to check with your GA and see who gets the renewals as an intern...

Interns and the reps in the first two years of their contract get an 'enhanced payout'. In effect they get their first year commission and the renewals paid out when the contract is put in force. Target is 80% to 85%. Renewals as a result are 0% on business generated during that time period.

Back