Part Time insurance agent?

Brad S.

Is selling insurance an all-or-nothing type deal? Do I need to go at it 40+ hours to see any results at all? I like the job I'm at now, but the thought of recurring commission really appeals to me.

I was looking at possibly (if i can find a company that allows it) working evenings and weekends. I know I wouldn't be able to generate a huge income, but having some extra recurring paychecks coming in would be great.

Any thoughts on this? Any advice on which companies I should look into?

Is selling insurance an all-or-nothing type deal? Do I need to go at it 40+ hours to see any results at all? I like the job I'm at now, but the thought of recurring commission really appeals to me.

I was looking at possibly (if i can find a company that allows it) working evenings and weekends. I know I wouldn't be able to generate a huge income, but having some extra recurring paychecks coming in would be great.

Any thoughts on this? Any advice on which companies I should look into?

Would you trust a part-time doctor?

Insurance is not about working hard, its about working smart...

I have time to work another 40hr a week job... but why? I'd rather put 40hrs back into my Insurance Business and make much much more money...

Id rather go golfing though.

Is selling insurance an all-or-nothing type deal? Do I need to go at it 40+ hours to see any results at all? I like the job I'm at now, but the thought of recurring commission really appeals to me. I was looking at possibly (if i can find a company that allows it) working evenings and weekends. I know I wouldn't be able to generate a huge income, but having some extra recurring paychecks coming in would be great. Any thoughts on this? Any advice on which companies I should look into?

From experience I know that trying to ease into something is not the way to success. To really be successful, to be willing to work hard enough, to be willing to make the sacrifices I have to have no way of going back. For me it has to be sink or swim. I believe that is true for the majority of people.

Burn your boat!

It's time to "burn your boat" IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO IT. That is my opinion.

I have been working a full time job {non-insurance} at 40+ hrs a week for the last few years, but kept my insurance license. I only sold like 2 policies in 2007 because of this, no time to mess with insurance on a part time basis. It really takes away from your insurance efforts- if you want to only do it part time. Just my experience. The more successful agents I know of- they really do it full time.

Since nobody here really answered your question, let me tell you, as long as you don't just write for immediate family members, you keep up to date with your CE credits, and you stick to what you know, then, yes you can do it part time.

I have a client that runs a Disc Jockey service for weddings, parties, and company picnics. When he gets overloaded, he calls me, and for 4 to 6 days a year, I am a disc jockey. I am good at it, and the people enjoy my personality and selection of songs. Does this make me a disc jockey? No.

Does it mean that I cannot do it? No.

I believe in multiple streams of income. That physician example gets me everytime. (yuck, yuck) As long as you do it, do it well and abide by the ethics, then I see nothing wrong with it.

I have an associate who is the drummer for a musical act (Hittin' The Web with Donna Hopkins :: Where Music Plus Friends Equals Family). During the week, Richie runs quotes for agents like myself. And, on the weekends, he plays drums. Gets paid for both, and is excellent at both.

Part time doc...tee hee hee

I think you can be a professional insurance agent working part time. However, I don't think you can be a professional if insurance is a second job.

Most of us probably put in less than 25 per week but our only job is insurance. You can earn a great living working less than 40 hours but you can't be a professional if insurance is simply a side-line.

Rick

Would you trust a part-time doctor?

When was the last time you asked your doctor how many hours a week he spends treating patients?

Many work part-time, you just don't know it because you don't think to ask. Of course, they do this only after spending years working more hours than you or I care to think about.

Many insurance agents work part time after they build their business.

Dan

First off, with the physician example. My pediatrician for 18 years worked just 2-3 days per week, and spent the rest of the week maintaining his books and making sure his business ran smooth while his partner took care of the other patients. He was an amazing doctor and we still keep in touch.

Secondly, I too believe in multiple streams of income. I work 40 hours a week at my real job, and then work 20 hours a week running an online pharmacy via online promotion, telemarketing, and face to face referrals.

I'm just looking to EVENTUALLY generate an extra $800-$1,000 in recurring commissions. As that dwindles down I'll leave the pharmacy again and put my efforts back into insurance.

Back