Penguin Insurance Services

Hi all,

I just got my P&C license in California and I am a total novice.
As I understand I need to get appointed but due to my lack of experience that is not going to happen so my option would be a "cluster" right?
Any thoughts on Penguin Insurance Services??

I appreciate any input.

Hi all,

As I understand I need to get appointed but due to my lack of experience that is not going to happen so my option would be a "cluster" right?

I appreciate any input.

PIS ins. svs....nice name. Nice Penguin logo.....you can pull out the polo's with penguin on it from the 70's.

Hi all,

I appreciate any input.

I am actually in the same position currently. I see you posted this a few months ago. Have you got any updated info on Penguin Insurance Services? I am considering them as well. Their website gives good info, but I would really like to know what their member fees are, other than the commission split.

Thanks.

There are a lot more options that are far better than Penguin. I came to work for a rather new agency that partnered with Penguin Insurance. I understand being new to the business and trying to build an agency but after working for a very established agency, the transition is hard. Penguin has brought on far too many agents to keep up with the work flow. Commissions take too long to pay, you have very little direct access to the carriers and the staff is very new to the insurance world -and have very little working knowledge of the insurance industry. Most of the service work is done by a call center in the Phillipines. It also takes a ridiculous amount of time to receive cancellation notices and memos from the carriers, so you have to constantly be checking on your clients policies because you most likely won't get a cancellation notice until AFTER the policy lapses. They charge you for monthly fees, users on the agency management system (which quite frankly, sucks!), as well as all sorts of other fees that you have to pay attention to. Triple check your commission statements as every month we find discrepancies on the percentage of commission we should be paid versus what we were paid. They require all new employees attend their "mandatory" boot camp. The commercial quoting is a joke - it takes a couple of weeks to get a quote on even the simplest policy. They don't wish to write any other state than California either, so if you are looking for access to any other states, don't look at Penguin. Just my two cents.

----------

The industry is changing folks. Make sure your aggregator or cluster is communicating that.

PPA (Private Passenger Auto) is a mess right now industry wide.....

I am considering Penguin as well. InsGrl08, what are other "better options"? Can you maybe send me a PM with this information?

Also, Bell Curve and Pac Man have you joined? Can you please share if it worked for you?

I would really appreciate any piece of information.

InsGrl08 was spot on with everything she stated!

Anyone who considers that cluster please turn around and run.
There are many other options out there especially here in California.

The best thing to do is find a quality Retail agency in your area that is willing to take you on as an independent producer.
If your heart is set on a cluster than call PIIB. They have a good reputation and fair contracts. When looking into clusters and MGA's always read the fine print when it comes to Book of Business ownership and the process of exiting.
Most of these places out there thrive on stealing your book of business when you try to leave and lock you of carrier appointments.

Back