Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Getting Started Selling Insurance

Reply to Please Help, I Need Some Good Advice     
Old 09-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #31
Super Genius
BADTROUT on Please Help, I Need Some Good Advice

State: BADTROUT is an Insurance Agent from Colorado
Please Help, I Need Some Good Advice Re: Please Help, I Need Some Good Advice
I almost always weigh in, in favor of the independent channel, HOWEVER... Sometimes the mentoring is lacking that rout. Most captive channels offer great proprietary, and ok general knowledge to noob's just starting out in the business. There are far more wrong directions you can turn than positive in your first gig, so no matter where you end up going as a new person, its fairly common to see people end up elsewhere.

Take anything you approach as a training opportunity, look at the exit limitations and opportunities with each... because at the end of the day that matters FAR more than the up front numbers.

Everything you read here is based on opinion, and these are just my opinions... but either way, its a great career if you work your tail off and learn as much as you can, as fast as you can.

The one thing common amongst most current and former Farmers agents I know, is that they wish they had started out elsewhere, could get out, or wished they never got into insurance... It's a bloody shame to see good talent learn the hard way, but then again, maybe you'll never appreciate where you end up unless you suck a lemon on your first gig.

Final Answer... Anything but door #1

------------------------------------
President/CEO Horizon Agency Systems (2017)
President/CEO DMV Insurance Services (2014)
President/CEO Rocky Mountain West Insurance (2005)

Have or want to build an Independent Agency?
Check Out: https://horizonagency.systems
  Reply With Quote to Please Help, I Need Some Good Advice
Reply to Please Help, I Need Some Good Advice 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Getting Started Selling Insurance