Pre Need/Final Expense 101

To sell Pre-need do you have to work for one Funeral Home in particular or can you work for a group of homes?

One is usually best. Sometimes they own multiple locations and if they own a cemetery that is a plus also. You don't sell for competing funeral homes. Too much conflict of interest.

SunnyDaze, you can sell preneed in PA only if you have a Funeral Directors License IN ADDITION to your insurance license. It wasn't always that way----I sold preneed in PA some years ago until the law was changed.
looks like a nice niche for someone coming from the funeral home side of things; for an insurance agent it would take something like an associate's degree degree plus an apprenticeship.:nah:

One is usually best. Sometimes they own multiple locations and if they own a cemetery that is a plus also. You don't sell for competing funeral homes. Too much conflict of interest.

I understand the conflict of interest concern from the funeral homes' perspective. But from a legal perspective, do you know if an agent can legally sell preneed on behalf of an insurance company and then match the policy with the funeral home that best fits the particular client's needs? (Let's assume for discussion that multiple funeral homes would agree to accept the policies without an exclusive sales arrangement.)

It seems from a clients' perspective, it would actually be helpful for them to have a seller who could help them find the right funeral home for their needs. For example, one client might want a mortuary specializing in a specific religion or culture, one client values a mortuary with a grand chapel, another client doesn't care as much about the mortuary amenities b/c they want a service at their own church anyway, etc.

Thoughts?

I understand the conflict of interest concern from the funeral homes' perspective. But from a legal perspective, do you know if an agent can legally sell preneed on behalf of an insurance company and then match the policy with the funeral home that best fits the particular client's needs? (Let's assume for discussion that multiple funeral homes would agree to accept the policies without an exclusive sales arrangement.) It seems from a clients' perspective, it would actually be helpful for them to have a seller who could help them find the right funeral home for their needs. For example, one client might want a mortuary specializing in a specific religion or culture, one client values a mortuary with a grand chapel, another client doesn't care as much about the mortuary amenities b/c they want a service at their own church anyway, etc. Thoughts?

Your clients usually know which funeral home they prefer. If you sell for multiple homes that are in competition with each other you will not get very far with them.

The easy way to make a living in PreNeed is to sell for one home that may have one or more locations. You want an office within the FH. You want to deliver death certificates and after funeral materials after funerals. Help file insurance claims and other benefit forms. Put on seminars. Run direct mail. Make calls to siblings and adult children of families who have used the funeral home, etc.

No funeral home owner will allow you into his inner workings if you sell for his direct competitor.

No funeral home owner will allow you into his inner workings if you sell for his direct competitor.

Thanks, Newby! Very helpful. Sounds like it's not a legal issue that would prevent agents from selling preneed on behalf of multiple funeral homes, but rather a practical issue that the funeral homes won't allow it.

Thanks, Newby! Very helpful. Sounds like it's not a legal issue that would prevent agents from selling preneed on behalf of multiple funeral homes, but rather a practical issue that the funeral homes won't allow it.

Yes. It's legal. But anytime I've worked with any funeral homes, the agreement is always that I will not do any work for any of their direct competitors.

I currently work with two that are only 20-miles from each other but are in different states and the customer bases do not over lap.

Some of the funeral homes will even require of their insurance company they work with that they will not allow any other funeral home in their market area to sell that company's products.

Back