Presentation Advice

WEB

Before I get into my question, I wanted to give some background about myself and my situation. I have had my life and health license for about 3 months. I am trying to focus my efforts on life and disability but really term and whole life right now. I work a full-time job and I am trying to ease into the insurance business because I am not in a financial position where I can leave my job--and I don't have any sales experience. I have a close relative that has done life and DI for about 20 years but for geographic reasons we can't work together. I have been working with an agent for the last month or so because he said he would train me. I came into this not expecting much because I am not producing and I could walk away any time. The "training" has mostly involved calling my friends and family (who have mostly cancelled on me or said we will call you when we are ready) and hearing numerous times from the agent, "you find 'em, we will do everything else." This makes me uncomfortable. Anyway, my question is about the presentations.

My trainer wants me to learn a process (for life insurance) that, as far as I can tell, involves at least three meetings and a policy delivery, if it gets that far. It looks like this:

Agenda for Meeting 1: Find a connections with the prospect, then go into a 20min. presentation that discusses the places you can put your money and the tax treatment of each. This presentation ends with discussing whole life and how its tax treatment compares to a Roth IRA. (The reason they tell me you go through this presentation is to show the prospect you know what you are doing and build trust.)

I should note that I am particularly uncomfortable with this presentation because I don't have a securities license and don't feel qualified to speak about Roth IRAs, IRAs or 401(k)s. I am assured that this doesn't matter because he is there and he can do a Roth. He doesn't really want me to say anything at the meeting anyway.

Agenda for Meeting 2 (if there is one): Fact Finder
Agenda for Meeting3 (if there is one): Sell them whole life or whatever you can get.
Agenda for Meeting 4 (if there is one): Policy delivery.

To finally get to my questions. Is this process too much and do clients really want to see an agent 3 or 4 times for life insurance? Most of the information I have found on here is for FE, which I am not trying to do. Second, what kind of presentation do you guys use for life insurance? Any advice would be helpful and much appreciated.

1 - As a life & health agent, you can sell annuities, right? You can fund an IRA, Roth IRA, or a 401k with an annuity. Since you're new, I won't burden you with the idea that you could do non-registered group variable annuities for companies... without a securities license (depending on your state).

2 - You need to combine your "Agenda meeting 1" and "Agenda meeting 2" into ONE meeting. You need to learn how to do a GOOD fact-finding session while presenting "mini-concepts" at the same time.

The guys at the Insurance Pro Shop can help you learn how to do that.
The Leading Life Insurance and Annuity Tools, Tips and Training

^^^DHK is right. You know how easy it is to write an IRA or Roth IRA? Check the box on the annuity app.

Be honest and sincere is my best advice. If I get in front of someone, they are sold. I just started selling insurance and the vets marvel at my closing rate.

Back