Progressive Ins. Credit Check..........

Denise509

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Hi guys!

I've been looking into becoming an independent agent in my town. My question is this: Will Progressive deny me an appointment because of my poor credit history? I'm a bit worried because my history is really bad due to someone stealing my identity.

Hi guys!

I've been looking into becoming an independent agent in my town. My question is this: Will Progressive deny me an appointment because of my poor credit history? I'm a bit worried because my history is really bad due to someone stealing my identity.

I think as long as you don't owe any money to an insurance company or agency (vector history) you should be fine. I mean this in the nicest way possible, but Progressive isn't exactly the choosiest of the insurance companies. I think you will be fine.

To put in perspective: I applied to 6 insurance companies for appointments when starting as an indy. Progressive said yes, flat-out. 4 more flat-out said no. The other was willing to hear me out and then declined me because I didn't target their type of market at this time. Progressive is a relatively non-standard auto + toys and commercial auto.

I think you're going to be fine. Keep us posted though and let us know!

Merry Christmas!

Thanks for your reply! I'm just a bit worried because right now they are my only way to get my foot in the door.Their rates are great around here (I know because I used to work for an indy and a captive) I've also applied for appointments through 10 other companies and all of them said no (they liked my bus plan though!) ;). MetLife approved me but their auto rates are really bad in my area, home rates are pretty competitive though. If all goes well, my plan is to prove myself with however many carriers I have and reel in the bigger carriers :1wink: Merry Christmas to you too!

If I am going to start seeking assignment soon, what do I need to have prepared for the companies?? --saw business plan mentioned on a post. I am going strickly life/health. Any insight to the appointment process will be appricated. Thank you.

If I am going to start seeking assignment soon, what do I need to have prepared for the companies?? --saw business plan mentioned on a post. I am going strickly life/health. Any insight to the appointment process will be appricated. Thank you.

Life and health are different from P&C. For most carriers, just make sure you still have a pulse, a valid SSN, a valid insurance license and no Vector hits. And sometimes you can overcome one or more of those obstacles as well.

Funny thing about Progressive is they will cancel your contract quick for unethical behavior. I am aware of a large agency in my town who did a lot of business with them and had over 40 carriers that had there contract canceled. This is not to scare you but let you know they have higher standards than some give them credit for.

I think as long as you don't owe any money to an insurance company or agency (vector history) you should be fine. I mean this in the nicest way possible, but Progressive isn't exactly the choosiest of the insurance companies. I think you will be fine.

To put in perspective: I applied to 6 insurance companies for appointments when starting as an indy. Progressive said yes, flat-out. 4 more flat-out said no. The other was willing to hear me out and then declined me because I didn't target their type of market at this time. Progressive is a relatively non-standard auto + toys and commercial auto.

I think you're going to be fine. Keep us posted though and let us know!

Merry Christmas!

Hey I forgot to ask, did you start your agency selling only Progressive? If so, how was it?

Back