Question About Doing this Part Time and Schedule.

juggerburn

Expert
I am seriously considering getting started in the life and health insurance business. Right now I am being considered for an unrelated job with part time hours. They have a certain number of shifts available and I am trying to figure out the best schedule that lets me also sale insurance part time. I figure I can do sales calls between the hours of 8am and 12pm, and do the part time job between 2pm and 7pm if I stay in Cali or 5pm - 10pm if I move to the east coast. this would be the weekly and weekend schedule (two days of during the week)

Or i can have a schedule of 8am - 5pm (11am - 8pm if I move east) on the weekends and have time between tuesday and friday (with at least one day off). You guys think I'd have enough time to do insurance?

I know you guys call and set up meetings in the home of clients. Do you guys set up most meetings on the weekend, or after work hours during the week?

I do commercial P&C part time out of my home and work a second job part time as well. Basically, I get my second job work schedule 2 weeks in advance and use the remaining time in between shifts to call clients, set up appointments, etc. If you guide the potential client to set up the appointment within a time range you are available, you'll be fine and the client will never know the difference. Just say something like, "I'm available Tuesday at 10am or Wednesday at 3pm. Which is better for you?" And go from there. If you ask any of my clients, I doubt any of them know I only do insurance part time or that I have a second job.

Do whatever works best for you and your family and everything will work out! Best of luck! :yes:

Juggerburn...there are some other threads on here that can help you. I've done what you want to do by starting to sell part-time and can speak with you about trials, tribulations, time management, etc. PM me if you'd like to talk and I'd me more than happy to help.

Melissa, how has p&c been for you? the market for me seems a bit slow this time around, maybe im just not making enough calls.

To me as a part timer, Life insurance is best. I target the 25-60 age group. However, If I lived in a Rural area I would concentrate more on Med Supps. I still sell MS and FE however my specialty is Low Cost Term Life.

I agree with carroll and would prefer to sell life, but let me offer a different perspective. Depending on the climate (good economy, bad economy, rural area or not, etc.) I've always tried to offer not what I "wanted" to sell, but what was the best "foot-in-the-door" product to get in front of them then look for opportunities to cross sell other products. Just my two cents...

I'm starting part-time myself, while keeping a full-time job during the day (7am to 4pm Monday through Friday). It's the only way I can start without starving myself and my wife. I'm selling P&C as a producer for a local Farmer's agency. The agent I'm working for has advised that it's best to call in the evenings when most people are home anyhow. Anyone else have any other input?

I'm starting part-time myself, while keeping a full-time job during the day (7am to 4pm Monday through Friday). It's the only way I can start without starving myself and my wife. I'm selling P&C as a producer for a local Farmer's agency. The agent I'm working for has advised that it's best to call in the evenings when most people are home anyhow. Anyone else have any other input?

Yes. I would become an independent agent as soon as you learn the in's and out's from Farmers.

Call me old fashion but I think it is hard to serve clients properly doing it part time. Although i could see where it would be tough these days to quit a good job cold turkey, but sometimes necessity is the mother if invention. With that being said you will need to be available to sell from 3-7 these are prime times

Jason R Richardson LUTCF

Back