Question for Erie Agents

No different than other companies...except they call it "founders award" versus "contingency" that everyone else calls it. Good loss ratio, growth factors,etc. If all the stars align...the bonus can be substantial

FYI for what it's worth, I called Erie today and they told me the paperwork is in home office and I should be appointed in March/April. The District Manager advised me to hold off on other appointments until I signed the special commission scratch agency contract. After that they have no problem with me adding other carriers as long as they get first crack at the business.

Meeting with Encompass and Travelers next week so I'm getting close to taking these captive handcuffs off:)

Encompass can have me appointed in 2 weeks but doesn't want to be in an Erie agency. Their production requirement per year is only $100k as well. Travelers agreed to appoint me as well but I don't have their production requirement figure.

It looks like I'm good to go, this forum gave me a lot of the background info I needed to get started. I'll look to open my agency by April 1.

captiveguy...I have made the mistake of going captive and now I am trying to correct that mistake. When I was appointed with my captive company I had a series of interviews & some silly test & of courese they wanted to make sure I had funding. What is the process like with erie? Also what is the total time frame from start to finish

Justcurious,

Starting captive may not be a mistake, just learn on their dime then start out on your own. Unless you opened an Allstate or State Farm and paying the bills yourself then you are in a bad situation.

Erie definately takes longer than the usual 2 weeks to a month the process is very thorough. I applied in December and they are doing my background check now. The district manager told me 3-6 months.

You will love ERIE, I only do commercial insurance for a local ERIE agency and I am proud to tell people I represent them.

Farmers, State Farm, Allstate, and especially Nationwide are a joke when it comes to commercial insurance, compared to Erie. If they have my price beat, I simply call my underwriter, get the credits I need, and get the business.

I have also been an ERIE customer for over 20 years, and their personal lines rates are top notch too.

Dwayne, have you ever used Erie up against Auto-Owners or Cincinnati? If so, how did Erie fair? I am almost through the appt process with them and the 2 are my toughest competitors.

Bob

Dwayne, have you ever used Erie up against Auto-Owners or Cincinnati? If so, how did Erie fair? I am almost through the appt process with them and the 2 are my toughest competitors.

Bob

It's funny that you mention these two because my last two appointments involved them.

1. Is a construction company, about a $20,000 a year account that is with Cincinatti. I don't have the quote back but I know that even if Erie comes back higher, all I will need to do is call my uderwriter and tell her where I need to be premium-wise, and they will make it happen. Cincinatti is huge in our area so I am somewhat knowledgeable about their coverages.
To make things even easier, if the client is leasing their premises, most companies "fire legal" liablity is only $50,000 and a few up to 300,000, Erie's matches the "per occurence" liability limit which means on a 1 mill/2 mill policy, the fire legal is $1,000,000.

3. Auto-Owners, a tougher opponent but still beatable. I had breakfast with a man this morning who wants me to write is bed and breakfast, and he is with Auto-Owners. I will let you know, but I go into these knowing that I won't lose over price, now I need to get the closing down a little better.

WITH ERIE, I AM CONVINCED YOU WILL NEVER LOSE A DEAL OVER PRICE. They're sometimes a little picky, but I haven't found any better yet.

FARMERS AND NATIONWIDE ACCOUNTS ARE LIKE STEALING CANDY FROM A BABY!!!

Last edited:
Back