Question for Erie Agents

How has it been going Captive. Is Erie still competitive? How is their Life Product?

I am almost three years in now and love it. My book of business is growing quickly due to the competitive rates. I have a csr and a part time admin to assist but Erie was definitely the right move.

The life products are competitive (within a few dollars of Banner etc) and Erie has e-apps so everything can be done over the phone or email.

And yea I was captive when I signed up for this site but don't know how to change my name ha.

I have been out of the insurance industry for about 10 years. I previously worked as a producer for an Allstate agency. I met with a regional Erie rep back then but chose not to pursue at the time. I have been doing direct sales for last 11 years. (Happily) - However, I have been researching and want to pursue getting licensed and being an independent agent rep'ing Erie.
I have a good friend's husband, he's been Erie agent for 20 years so thats how I know much about Erie and want to work with them.
I am a single mom, credit wrecked in a past divorce. Not a lot of liquidity. I have a strong work ethic, a BA (i know not necessary) and years of applicable service to customers that is directly transferable. I have the people & service skills to be successful along with the drive, but my financials may not look like very responsible.. What say you all on advice and input? Suggestions? Thank you for your time.

I have been out of the insurance industry for about 10 years. I previously worked as a producer for an Allstate agency. I met with a regional Erie rep back then but chose not to pursue at the time. I have been doing direct sales for last 11 years. (Happily) - However, I have been researching and want to pursue getting licensed and being an independent agent rep'ing Erie. I have a good friend's husband, he's been Erie agent for 20 years so thats how I know much about Erie and want to work with them. I am a single mom, credit wrecked in a past divorce. Not a lot of liquidity. I have a strong work ethic, a BA (i know not necessary) and years of applicable service to customers that is directly transferable. I have the people & service skills to be successful along with the drive, but my financials may not look like very responsible.. What say you all on advice and input? Suggestions? Thank you for your time.

What state are you in and or I should say part of that state are you in? This will help us in knowing if Erie is even appointing there.

Your best bet is to call the local Erie branch in that area i.e if you are in central Pennsylvania you would call Erie's Harrisburg branch office and you'll want to ask to speak with the local DSM in that area.

That is how I started down their long road of an appointment process

I am in Southwest Ohio.
I noticed you didn't comment on my financial status. Should I not concerned about pursuing an appointment with shaky looking finances? This is a major holding point for me...

Last edited:
I am in Southwest Ohio.
No comment or not concerned about my financial status?

With the new agent program you would have money coming in the first month. If you don't spend anything on marketing, get a small office, and have referrals coming in you could do it with no liquidity.

I think I started off with $10k which isn't anything when starting an agency and I made it work because I had been in the business for 3 years. I didn't spend money on marketing I had an instant source of business.

It can be done but it may not be easy. If you can survive the first year or so you will be fine but I don't know how strict Erie is on credit when offering appointments.

I am in Southwest Ohio. No comment or not concerned about my financial status?

Erie is very particular in who they appoint and they do a very in-depth research into who they appoint. When I got to my meeting with them they already knew my driving record.

I don't think this should deter you from reaching out to them. If you have a good explanation and you are upfront about it, the process should go smoothly.

I am not sure if they are appointing over there so definitely reach out.

Back