Question For Top Auto / Home Carriers for Independent Agents?

michiganagent

I'm looking at the option of getting appointed to sell insurance for some top home and auto insurance companies. I've been an independent agent selling Life and Health since 2006 and would like to remain independent. Anyone have suggestions for strong competitive Auto / Home carriers who work with independent agents? Thanks

Re: ?Top Auto / Home Carriers for Independent Agents?

I'm looking at the option of getting appointed to sell insurance for some top home and auto insurance companies. I've been an independent agent selling Life and Health since 2006 and would like to remain independent. Anyone have suggestions for strong competitive Auto / Home carriers who work with independent agents? Thanks

Look at independent agent websites in your state and see what they offer, and make a list. See what overlaps and see which ones you only see once or twice. Go from there.

I don't think you can go wrong with having Safeco and Progressive though, as 2 carriers to throw out there. Foremost is supposed to be good for the markets it serves (not MY markets, though.)

rates will vary greatly depending upon zip codes/areas.

If you have a friend that is an IA have them run a quote on yuor cars/home to see who has the best rates in your area. Then you can approach the companies that interest you.

The more the better for Auto. No 2 drivers are alike, and much like the health products you sell now, you probably dont put all your risks with one carrier.

schwetty, I agree with your tag 100%, flo is really hot.

With out an exisiting book, you're going to have a difficult time gaining appointments. I'd recommend looking in to a wholesaler like Superior Access, Insurance Noodle, etc. Maybe partner with an exisiting agent until you're established on the P&C side.

You won't have that much of a problem getting appointed with non-standard carriers (I didn't and my agency is brand new). Just keep on bugging them until they appoint you/come interview you lol :laugh:. Standard/Preferred companies want to see an existing BOB before appointing you though. I've been using foremost for home, Progressive and GMAC for auto. Look up other indy agencies through your state insurance website and check out what companies your competition are using.

You won't have that much of a problem getting appointed with non-standard carriers (I didn't and my agency is brand new). Just keep on bugging them until they appoint you/come interview you lol :laugh:. Standard/Preferred companies want to see an existing BOB before appointing you though. I've been using foremost for home, Progressive and GMAC for auto. Look up other indy agencies through your state insurance website and check out what companies your competition are using.

Thanks for the pointers. Will do.

Back