Questions About Background Review Application

vikkifowble

Hello.

Hoping someone can help me. I can't seem to find a clear answer and I've called the CA DOI and they seem to say that it's kind of a case by case basis. So, yes, I had some tough situations in the past that made my financial life very difficult. I filed bankruptcy in 2002 and again just had one discharged in feb of this year. Yes. I have learned valuable lessons do, no need for harsh responses. I beat myself up enough. I also owe the IRS 1500 but we have an arrangement for me to have that paid by July 26th. The other thing that's worrying me is I have a tax lien for a 500 tax debt to the state. I sent in a payment arrange my to them but have yet to hear back. Most of us have made mistakes and when the economy took a dive, I did too and along with that I decided to bow out of working to take care of my dying mother. So, now I want to start over with a new career. I took the pre licensing in March. Studied diligently on my own until Tuesday and went and took the test and passed it. It was not an easy feat. I'm wondering if you think they will deny me. Thank you. Very concerned.

I see you posted this last night and still haven't gotten any responses. So, I will try to help. However, I am in Mi and only know how Mi operates. CA may be more strict.

Here, I do know many people who have been in your situation. A few have had bankruptcy and a few with DUI problems.

In both cases, the State Licensing does want a written explanation. If you can show that you have made "good" or in your case you made arrangements to make "good", the licensing dept went ahead and issued a license.

You will probably have to show proof that you have made those arrangements to make good.

And, yes, it can be nerve wracking because here it is said to be a case by case decision.

Good Luck to you. I would try anyway. I hope CA shows some leniency as long as people are showing they are trying to fix the problem in good faith.

Just because you can get licensed does not mean you can get appointed.

Are you going with a captive company, does the hiring manager know about your credit history?

I was hoping to get started just working under an independent agent for awhile. I don't think I can go captive because all the captive companies check your credit, correct? Or find a small brokerage to work for.. That's possible. Right?

I was hoping to get started just working under an independent agent for awhile. I don't think I can go captive because all the captive companies check your credit, correct? Or find a small brokerage to work for.. That's possible. Right?

ALL companies check your credit. I'm not aware of a single company that does not prior to appointing. Perhaps there is, but I'm not aware of it.

What you plan to sell and if you want advances will play something of a role. But you are going to need someone to vouch for you to the company, the brokerage, sales manager, someone. Being on payment plans will help.

ALL companies check your credit. I'm not aware of a single company that does not prior to appointing. Perhaps there is, but I'm not aware of it.

What you plan to sell and if you want advances will play something of a role. But you are going to need someone to vouch for you to the company, the brokerage, sales manager, someone. Being on payment plans will help.
okay. Insurance is a whole new world to me so forgive me for not understanding how things work. The two independent brokers I talked to did not seem to be interested in running my credit. And they said I would not have to get appointed. They have the appointments. I would be a sub agent under them. ????? I understand captive companies all run credit. I don't have any outstanding debt anymore other than the state which is $500 that I am repaying. Yes. The bk killed my credit score though. Maybe I can't get a job anywhere though and this is pointless. I had no idea it would be this difficult .

okay. Insurance is a whole new world to me so forgive me for not understanding how things work. The two independent brokers I talked to did not seem to be interested in running my credit. And they said I would not have to get appointed. They have the appointments. I would be a sub agent under them. ????? I understand captive companies all run credit. I don't have any outstanding debt anymore other than the state which is $500 that I am repaying. Yes. The bk killed my credit score though. Maybe I can't get a job anywhere though and this is pointless. I had no idea it would be this difficult .

It sounds like you are going to write under their number then. Is this a P&C agency? In the L&H world, carriers want the producer who actually wrote the app to be appointed, even if commissions are assigned to someone else.

Oh yes, that is so true. All the top companies WILL do a credit check.

Some will contract you anyway with a clear written explanation of what was going on and how you are making good.

Some will not ever contract with you.

Some that will would be willing to work with you would be Transamerica, United Health, Assurity, and Humana. Those are a few that I know of who have contracted, with clear explanation, with agents with issues like yours.

I know this because I had some issues too back when my daughter had no coverage and was born with a serious brain abnormality that wasn't diagnosed until she was 6. I had a lot of medical bills that went unpaid at the time, as well as other bills that went unpaid. I did have credit problems too, but no bankruptcy.

I was in debt in 2004 when I started in the insurance biz. I know a few did decline my application, but I can't remember who it was...guess it wasn't that important to me to remember. I just worked with the companies who would give me a chance.

One of our top agents back then also filed bankruptcy due to a failed business attempt. He was also able to contract with the aforementioned companies, and his bankruptcy was fairly new, but released.

I am sure there are companies that will work with you.

If you are going to be captive though, you better make sure that company will be willing to contract with you.

Also, you will for sure not get a job at a bank...lol.

----------

And if you have a real good, highly prolific MGA or GA, they can talk to the company and perhaps take "responsibility" for you too. I have seen that one happen too.

Back