Questions, Talked with 3 Companies So Far

DariaOC

Expert
I also posted this in FFL thread, should I delete that one? Very green here. I have been in sales for most of my life, many many years. I like the idea of working partly from home and selling insurance and other products affiliated with it. I am not licensed yet. Here it is so far:

I have talked to 3 companies so far last week. Family First was one of the three, that I called. I talked with the recruiter from FFL and she has very little life in her voice and she is young so that is a bit sad. I don't think she ever sold anything in her life, a pleasant voice tone and some excitement is nice to hear on the phone. I don't think she liked all my questions either. At least that is the vib I got. I gave her my email address and I didn't get the info she said she was emailing. Might call her back after the holiday. Maybe not getting the email and info was a good thing however their reviews on another site is really good. Any one currently working with them?

I also talked with and liked an agent from NAA who is recruiting for her down line and she sent me a copy of the contract because I would not log-in to the site first without viewing it. So I have that to go over. She did go to home office about sending me the agreement and answered my questions and was very pleasant at least and that is way better than my first experience with FFL.

I also talked with Farm and Ranch and the recruiter is coming to a motel/hotel in my area this week to recruit. Any new info on them? Maybe I should start a new thread about this? Love more info on NAA and Farm and Ranch please.

The reason I posted here first is I just wanted to mention the recruiter from Family First Life didn't send info to me after I asked a ton of questions.

I really want to get on with getting my licensing and work with a good company that I do not have to pay a fortune for leads or over pay and of course want to work with honest people and an honest company. Would Not be too happy if I have to drive an hour and a half each way for an appointment either. Once in awhile sure. Thanks for any help. Looking for a supportive and honest company with good products to sell, aren't we all!! :)

Hey, I sent you a PM but are you looking to break into FE or another part of insurance?

Hey, I sent you a PM but are you looking to break into FE or another part of insurance?
HI I did reply, not totally sure yet. open to suggestions that will make me money and help clients, that is important too.

Welcome to the forum DariaOC.

I'd steer clear of all three of those outfits, especially the one that want's to meet you at a motel.

In your previous sales career, did you work leads that were provided to you, or were you responsible for generating your own leads?

Do you have enough savings that you could invest $1200-$1500 a week into marketing, while also covering your personal expenses for at least 90 days.

These are questions you should ask before jumping ship from a sales career where marketing is, for the most part, taken care of. All you have to do is show up and sell. That's the type of setup I'd be looking for if were in your shoes. Preferably a W2 position at an independent multi-lines agency that will teach you how to bring in new business.

Insurance, I am learning, is all about marketing, and minus that, 95 percent of your time will prospecting, and 5 percent actually selling. (writing apps.)

The more you can invest in marketing, the more time you can spend on actual selling! That's when this business begins to become fun! Until then, it's hell on wheels!

Which is why most people on here recommend having sufficient start-up capital before getting involved in this business.

Stay clear of the recruiters that don't care how you're set up financially. They just want to write up your friends and family and keep your renewals when you eventually wash out.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum DariaOC.

I'd steer clear of all three of those outfits, especially the one that want's to meet you at a motel.

In your previous sales career, did you work leads that were provided to you, or were you responsible for generating your own leads?

Do you have enough savings that you could invest $1200-$1500 a week into marketing, while also covering your personal expenses for at least 90 days.

These are questions you should ask before jumping ship from a sales career where marketing is, for the most part, taken care of. All you have to do is show up and sell. That's the type of setup I'd be looking for if were in your shoes. Preferably a W2 position at an independent multi-lines agency that will teach you how to bring in new business.

Insurance, I am learning, is all about marketing, and minus that, 95 percent of your time will prospecting, and 5 percent actually selling. (writing apps.)

The more you can invest in marketing, the more time you can spend on actual selling! That's when this business begins to become fun! Until then, it's hell on wheels!

Which is why most people on here recommend having sufficient start-up capital before getting involved in this business.

Stay clear of the recruiters that don't care how you're set up financially. They just want to write up your friends and family and keep your renewals when you eventually wash out.

wow thanks, As far as the sales I have done, I am tired of the standing for hours and not making commission plus hourly rate. ok will go back and relook at insurance companies with salaries. I do not have $1000 plus to spend a month. no way. Also thinking real estate is just as bad? :err:

----------

one other issue that is really bothering me and I feel very stupid. NAA insurance agent that is hiring or recruiting me asked me after we talked twice, and I looked her up on FB and LinkedIn, for my Social Security number so she could do a soft back ground check for their site so I can login. I gave it and regretted it right away. I think she is ok and I am over reacting. But is that normal? I called the 3 credit burrows and put a flag on my reports for possible fraud. Maybe I should call NAA also. I didn't sign any contract yet but I am registered on the site to log in for training by them. I do have her cell # and email address. Should I be concerned? She also sent me a copy of their contract.

Realestate requires a rather long sales cycle vs simple issue insurance. Not familiar with captive work via State Farm/etc but With the right system one can enter final expense without thousands in the bank.

ok will go back and relook at insurance companies with salaries. I do not have $1000 plus to spend a month. no way.

----------
one other issue that is really bothering me and I feel very stupid. NAA insurance agent that is hiring or recruiting me asked me after we talked twice, and I looked her up on FB and LinkedIn, for my Social Security number so she could do a soft back ground check for their site so I can login. I gave it and regretted it right away. I think she is ok and I am over reacting. But is that normal? I called the 3 credit burrows and put a flag on my reports for possible fraud. Maybe I should call NAA also. I didn't sign any contract yet but I am registered on the site to log in for training by them. I do have her cell # and email address. Should I be concerned? She also sent me a copy of their contract.

There are not many insurance companies that have a career track without needing some capital to get started. If there's a salary, it's usually temporary, or a draw off your future commissions.

I would look for a CSR position with an independent agency. These are usually P&C agencies. Some outfits will help you get licensed and even split a percentage of the commissions on all the business you bring in.

On the Medicare side, this is the time all the call centers start hiring and training for Open Enrollment season. They usually pay for all your licensing in multiple states. These jobs are usually only $12-$15 per hour and are seasonal but not a bad place to get your feet wet, get some training, and get licensed in all 50 states on someone else's dime! (Ehealth is one of the big ones.)

On the FE side, I would look at one of the career shops that provides you with leads. Again learn on someone else dime, until you're ready to ready to go independent.

You'll probably be okay... but I wouldn't ever do it again. I would only give a SSN for official business - meaning for your license, appointment paperwork, etc.

Keep an eye out on things. If you see something suspicious, I wouldn't bother with NAA to report this person. I'd go directly to your state's department of insurance to launch an investigation. They have the power to arrest people, suspend licenses, etc.

You'll probably be okay... but I wouldn't ever do it again. I would only give a SSN for official business - meaning for your license, appointment paperwork, etc.

Keep an eye out on things. If you see something suspicious, I wouldn't bother with NAA to report this person. I'd go directly to your state's department of insurance to launch an investigation. They have the power to arrest people, suspend licenses, etc.

Do you think I need to ask to meet her? Should I call the state dep now or wait until I see something bad happening. Can she or can she sell my info and they rob my bank accounts? thanks. why or why did I do that. it is so not like me! truly I am normally a very careful person. TY

Do you think I need to ask to meet her? Should I call the state dep now or wait until I see something bad happening. Can she or can she sell my info and they rob my bank accounts? thanks. why or why did I do that. it is so not like me! truly I am normally a very careful person. TY

Daria,
IMHO, NAA should not have asked you for your SS# in order to give you access to their web-site and were it me, I never would have given them such personal info.

NAA does not have a good reputation as an IMO, and if you are looking for an IMO that will provide you with training and a lead program, there are others out there that will give you those benefits as well as a higher starting commission.

I'd suggest you do some research on NAA (National Agents Alliance) as well as Andy Albright (principle founder) and Superior Performers, Inc. (the corporation). Google will be your friend.

Back