Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Getting Started Selling Insurance

Reply to S Corp Vs. LLC ??     
Old 10-31-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
Super Genius
liquidblue33 on S Corp Vs. LLC ?? - Insurance Forum

State: liquidblue33 is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
S Corp Vs. LLC ?? S Corp Vs. LLC ??
Wanted to get some opinions on Incorporating or forming an LLC. Is one better than the other for the insurance industry? I don't plan on having any employees. At least not anytime soon.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to S Corp Vs. LLC ??
Old 10-31-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
Guru

State: joshril is an Insurance Agent from Oregon
joshril is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
S Corp Vs. LLC ?? Re: S Corp Vs. LLC ??
What's wrong with a sole prop? What is your reasoning for looking at incorporation?

Old 10-31-2008, 09:20 PM   #3
Super Genius

S Corp Vs. LLC ?? Re: S Corp Vs. LLC ?? liquidblue33 is the thread starter for: S Corp Vs. LLC ??

I'm not opposed to a sole prop. I just have people keep telling me that i should inc. or form an LLC. My thing is, i'm new and just getting ready to start marketing. Independent of course. I want to come up with a name to use on flyers, web site and etc. Can i just register a fictitous name? Somebody told me to register an agency with the Dept. of Insurance i had to Inc. or form the LLC???
Old 10-31-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
Guru

Originally Posted by liquidblue33 View Post
I'm not opposed to a sole prop. I just have people keep telling me that i should inc. or form an LLC. My thing is, i'm new and just getting ready to start marketing. Independent of course. I want to come up with a name to use on flyers, web site and etc. Can i just register a fictitous name? Somebody told me to register an agency with the Dept. of Insurance i had to Inc. or form the LLC???
I'm not sure how it works in FL, but in TX, you can just register an assumed name and file that with the state. Once accepted by the DOI, flyers, website, business cards, etc. are good to go...

Since you're starting out, it probably makes sense to go with a sole prop and re-evaluate after things take off.

What line of insurance do you plan to offer?

Register Now for FREE!
To sign up for your FREE INSTANT account, please complete the form.

Username:
    Password:   Confirm Password:     E-Mail:   Confirm E-Mail:     

Question of the day:   How many zeros does 100 have? I agree to forum rules 

Old 10-31-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
Guru
xrac on S Corp Vs. LLC ?? - Insurance Forum

State: xrac is an Insurance Agent from Indiana
xrac is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Originally Posted by joshril View Post
What's wrong with a sole prop? What is your reasoning for looking at incorporation?

There are plenty of reasons to incorporate. I am not a lawyer so I won't go into all of the reasons but a big one is that you can park your commissions inside the company. Pay yourself a reasonable salary as an employee of the corporation and can also pay yourself dividends out of any excess profits. If done properly the dividends will not incurr medicare and FICA taxation. You can also personally buy a vehicle and lease it to back to your corporation. The lists gones on. Based upon what I know I would go S Corp.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
Guru

Originally Posted by xrac View Post
There are plenty of reasons to incorporate. I am not a lawyer so I won't go into all of the reasons but a big one is that you can park your commissions inside the company. Pay yourself a reasonable salary as an employee of the corporation and can also pay yourself dividends out of any excess profits. If done properly the dividends will not incurr medicare and FICA taxation. You can also personally buy a vehicle and lease it to back to your corporation. The lists gones on. Based upon what I know I would go S Corp.
In agreement that incorporation makes sense for a successful business, but it costs money. In my opionion, the money used on incorporation would be better spent on leads, marketing, etc.

Incorporation can make sense, but is most certainly not a necessity in the beginning.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
Guru

State: myinsurebiz is an Insurance Agent from Kosova
myinsurebiz is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
LLC offers less restrictions with just about the same personal protection. No meetings, minutes, etc with an LLC . . .

Tom

" If you must Hate - Hate the Game and not the Players "

< - - - (912) 225-1271 - - - >
Old 10-31-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
Guru

If the OP can tell his why he is looking at LLC's and S-Corps, we can give better advice. If it's only about having an assumed name, sole prop makes the most sense to start out... Sole prop with E&O there should be no big liability issues...

Old 10-31-2008, 10:00 PM   #9
Super Genius

S Corp Vs. LLC ?? Re: S Corp Vs. LLC ?? liquidblue33 is the thread starter for: S Corp Vs. LLC ??

Yea, i do agree with all the benefits of the s corp and LLC. But for now, i was just looking for the fastest way to get started and keep it legal of course. I will initially be focusing on Individual Health because i can go B 2 B for cheap advertising. Once i get of the ground and can afford the leads i want to get more into Life.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:17 PM   #10
Guru

Originally Posted by liquidblue33 View Post
Yea, i do agree with all the benefits of the s corp and LLC. But for now, i was just looking for the fastest way to get started and keep it legal of course. I will initially be focusing on Individual Health because i can go B 2 B for cheap advertising. Once i get of the ground and can afford the leads i want to get more into Life.
Sole prop! Get an assumed name and file it with the DOI (once again-not sure of the process in FL).

Reply to S Corp Vs. LLC ?? 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Getting Started Selling Insurance