"The Same Page" Thread

DHK when did you start your new mentor program?? You deserve an over ride on this kid.

He reminds me a lot of me... except I don't recall being all over the place as he is.

He's more "ignorance on fire". And there are times when I think of this quote from Jim Rohn:
If you have an *** and you motivate him, now you have a motivated ***.

Give him an inch of knowledge, and he'll interpret it to be a mile.

The problem, is that he isn't showing a lot of BUSINESS SENSE. He isn't being conservative enough to evaluate everything as best as he can. He really is "shooting from the hip"... and no client and no firm wants that in a new advisor.

It certainly wouldn't make me feel real comfortable with my "financial planner" if I knew he had to pawn his stuff to buy E&O.

It certainly wouldn't make me feel real comfortable with my "financial planner" if I knew he had to pawn his stuff to buy E&O.

It was a metaphor for "I will sink to my lowest level and ask my mother for money"

I've always prided myself of being the 1 of 2 sons that never had addiction problems, was the best at getting an education, and never had problems with money. Sadly for me, AIL took me for everything I had (not AIL's fault, just the ropes when it comes to driving around, getting licensed, and paying utilities, rent, etc.) because I couldn't get behind their products.

I'll be fine, thanks to DHK I have a better idea of how to get to to where I want to be. :biggrin:

----------

The problem, is that he isn't showing a lot of BUSINESS SENSE. He isn't being conservative enough to evaluate everything as best as he can. He really is "shooting from the hip"... and no client and no firm wants that in a new advisor.

Funny you mention it that way, because I hold a degree in Business Administration!

I'm still going to chalk it up to analysis paralysis. I know too much thanks to my internship at northwestern, my autistic tendencies, and my lust to have all my i's dotted and t's crossed before making a decision. Like I mentioned, I've been consciously trying to shoot from the hip lately, instead of staying on the fence until it's too late.

1.) My Overall strategy is to serve middle class families and small businesses achieve financial their desired level financial security.
Way, way too vague and general.
2.) My tactics and plan to accomplish this will be meeting with people and gaining 25 qualified prospects a day. I will meet with each client and find out what tools I have will best meet their needs and goals.
What you describe is a process. I don't see any "tactics" here. How are you going to find your 25? Specifically (i.e.-I'll mail 100 pre-approach letters a week, I'll cold walk businesses 10 hours a week, I'll attend a minimum of 2 networking events each week, etc.)

Everybody wants to do well, but that's usually where it ends. Very few are willing to do the things they need to. You don't need some stupid SWOT analysis - this isn't college. You need action.

Way, way too vague and general.
What you describe is a process. I don't see any "tactics" here. How are you going to find your 25? Specifically (i.e.-I'll mail 100 pre-approach letters a week, I'll cold walk businesses 10 hours a week, I'll attend a minimum of 2 networking events each week, etc.)

Everybody wants to do well, but that's usually where it ends. Very few are willing to do the things they need to. You don't need some stupid SWOT analysis - this isn't college. You need action.

Well, from what I hear at EJ it's a matter of door knocking. I'll cold-walk businesses. I do need to find out more networking events here in Memphis. I've been trying to use LinkedIn.

I was doing a SWOT analysis at DHK's reco.

Very few are willing to do the things they need to.

I know I am willing to do the things I need to do, but no matter what people tell me, it seems there is a lot of things I need to do. Can someone please just tell me the bread and butter?

Well, from what I hear at EJ it's a matter of door knocking. I'll cold-walk businesses. I do need to find out more networking events here in Memphis. I've been trying to use LinkedIn.

I was doing a SWOT analysis at DHK's reco.

I know I am willing to do the things I need to do, but no matter what people tell me, it seems there is a lot of things I need to do. Can someone please just tell me the bread and butter?

You need to find people.

Door knocking works.

Networking works. (Use meetup. Find a BNI group. Toastmasters. Remember that all of those take 6 months before you see any results. Best thing about BNI is the training on HOW to network. The worst part is the cost.)

Direct Mail Works.

Do an intro letter to EVERYONE you know, vaguely know or consider in passing. Post it on FB. Post it on Nextdoor. Scream from the rooftops "I'm doing Financial Planning now!"

Remember for every 10 people you talk to, you will get 3 appts and 1 sale. If you are way off in that ratio, fix something. But that's the ratio. Its been proven over and over and over.

Based on all this, EJ is going to be the way to go. The training is excellent on all fronts. Products, financial planning and how to find clients.

You need to find people.

Door knocking works.

Networking works. (Use meetup. Find a BNI group. Toastmasters. Remember that all of those take 6 months before you see any results. Best thing about BNI is the training on HOW to network. The worst part is the cost.)

Direct Mail Works.

Do an intro letter to EVERYONE you know, vaguely know or consider in passing. Post it on FB. Post it on Nextdoor. Scream from the rooftops "I'm doing Financial Planning now!"

Remember for every 10 people you talk to, you will get 3 appts and 1 sale. If you are way off in that ratio, fix something. But that's the ratio. Its been proven over and over and over.

Based on all this, EJ is going to be the way to go. The training is excellent on all fronts. Products, financial planning and how to find clients.

Ok I will find people, besides Door knocking, what's the best way to do that in a New City where I don't know anyone?

Does anyone know the EJ door knocking script?

I am very familiar with the 10-3-1 ratio, it's what they taught at NM. But here in memphis it's more like 15-4-1 because of the quality, more suspects as opposed to prospects.

Are you saying you already know how to be broke? :)

----------

Moon gave you the million dollar answer. Action. See people all day everyday, get egg on your face, and then do it all again.

Are you saying you already know how to be broke? :)

I'm the brokest I've ever been in my entire life these last couple of weeks....

Moon gave you the million dollar answer. Action. See people all day everyday, get egg on your face, and then do it all again.

Got it, what preemptive steps can I take to impress Edward Jones during the interview and what I can do now, to prepare, to hit the ground running if I don't get the job at EJ?

Back