"The Same Page" Thread

DavidHill76

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Tennessee
As I continue my journey of finding my way to where I envision myself (middle class and Small/Medium business) I have found that Northwestern's way didn't work for me when I couldn't talk shop with Doctors' and Lawyers'. Now, I am overly analytic and tend to spend way to much time on "the fence." Not necessarily a new years resolution, but I made a conscious effort to "shoot first and ask questions later" which led to me moving to Memphis, TN and getting my L&H license to work with American Income Life. After 3 months, I found that supplemental insurance wasn't the way for me because I've always wanted to focus on financial plans.

I know the road to becoming a CFP is a long and difficult one, but I will do my best to see if I can make it. This road begins by learning Insurance and investments. Areas that are not necessarily mutually exclusive. I am having trouble at this very moment deciding whether I should focus solely on Insurance for a few years or if I should join a firm like Edward Jones. As many of you know, at the present typing, I am in the middle of the interview process with Edward Jones. However, if this fails, given my knowledge, I plan to be 100% devoted to learning the insurance industry, mainly Life and Health, with a big focus on FE.

After speaking on the phone with some of the most esteemed members on the forum, my goals (as told to them) seem to place me on the independent spectrum, being able to sell to Middle class and small businesses. However, I for some reason, can not figure out how to get a contract, materials, orals, etc. and prospect the right way. I have all these ideas in my head but I guess because I'm sort of autistic, I get paralyzed by the numbers and facts, not able to just start.

I have been reading Door knock scripts, cold call scripts, etc. What are other ways to prospect by walking in to a business on Monday morning?

What are some of companies to contract with as a newbie, that will make it just difficult enough to learn the hard way :twitchy:

E&O check.

Leads? Maybe after I door knock, get in a house, and write an app, to create an income stream.

What am I missing? What am I not doing? Obvious answers should not include "wasting time posting on the forum when you could be doing work" Well it is 11pm on a friday night >=)

First, now we know where you want to go. You want to be in the "Financial Planning" business.

With that in mind, FE won't teach you what you want. You may make a few sales, but it won't be the direction you're looking for long term. You'll learn "product sales"... but you won't be learning the skills to create an environment for planning.

Edward Jones is in the Investments business... and a little bit in insurance. It's not a bad place to start - particularly because of their prospecting training and a small base salary.

Tell me more about why you couldn't "talk shop" with doctors' and lawyers'?

What happened there?

First, now we know where you want to go. You want to be in the "Financial Planning" business.

With that in mind, FE won't teach you what you want. You may make a few sales, but it won't be the direction you're looking for long term. You'll learn "product sales"... but you won't be learning the skills to create an environment for planning.

Edward Jones is in the Investments business... and a little bit in insurance. It's not a bad place to start - particularly because of their prospecting training and a small base salary.

Tell me more about why you couldn't "talk shop" with doctors' and lawyers'?

What happened there?

Basically, I was a Junior in college aged 20. I can probably do better now and I actually have done well with Lawyers, lately.

I think it was mostly my age when I interned at NMFN, that and I couldn't get behind the whole prospect my family and work off their referrals.

Also, Northwestern's fact finding and things were pretty advanced at the time. I guess I just wasn't built for high income families, since in my view they had already been reached out to by several others. I wanted to focus on my comfort zone, middle class America where we I saw Moms and Dads work two jobs to put kids through school.

Okay... you have a tendency to ramble and mention things that don't really apply anymore, so you need to work on that.

I know what you mean by "advanced" fact-finding for high-level income earners. It's like "Joe Lunchbucket" is too unsophisticated to get help from an agent from agencies like this. And they tend to talk over people's heads only to the person who is "financially clued in".

I'm going to give you some homework.

Read this article: Where Can You Find and Make The Most Money?

And this one for new agents:
http://www.insuranceproshop.com/NewAgents/

And read this thread, if you haven't already:
http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...nsurance/guidance-new-life-agents-t29999.html

Watch these video clips:
"Trusted Advisor Success Training"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p30UhdUsOA

"Be a Real Financial Planner"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwviP-yIuTw

If you like what you're reading and viewing... then you need to CALL the Insurance Pro Shop and get some help from these guys. They are MY mentors. They'll help set you straight because you don't just need a system. You need a mentor.

They'll either charge you for mentoring later on, or you buy a system and get 3 months of coaching initially. Either way, I think this is the direction you want to head in.

Last edited:
I want to go to EJ just for the canvassing training.

Hill when you are interviewing, try to find out as much as you can about who will be training you, it is very important. When I interviewed with EJ, I got to ride along with a producer for a day. I ask him if I could shadow him for 2 weeks and he was kind enough to oblige. If they haven't yet they usually ask for a buisness plan. You might want to prepare for that.

I want to go to EJ just for the canvassing training.

Hill when you are interviewing, try to find out as much as you can about who will be training you, it is very important. When I interviewed with EJ, I got to ride along with a producer for a day. I ask him if I could shadow him for 2 weeks and he was kind enough to oblige. If they haven't yet they usually ask for a buisness plan. You might want to prepare for that.

Yeah, i noticed that on the process page they emailed me. I wonder how in depth it has to be?

I mean should I just use something textbook or just wing it. Hah

Oh God you need help.

And I'm almost getting tired of giving it to you. (And I'm the nice one.)

Business plan = Action Plan

What is your overall strategy?

What will be your tactics to accomplish your strategy and action plan?

Those are the two questions that matter in your business plan. Anything else... is fluff.

For year 2+... your business plan is simply one word: more.

----------

I'm pretty sure they'll give you a template for it.

You don't need business planning software, graphs, or any other BS. It may look nice, but your job is to produce new business... not business plans.

----------

But I'll also recommend that you do a personal SWOT analysis... to assess your internal (s)trengths, (w)eaknesses, external (o)pportunities, and (t)hreats.

Google it and do some introspection on this.

Oh God you need help.

And I'm almost getting tired of giving it to you. (And I'm the nice one.)

Business plan = Action Plan

What is your overall strategy?

What will be your tactics to accomplish your strategy and action plan?

Those are the two questions that matter in your business plan. Anything else... is fluff.

For year 2+... your business plan is simply one word: more.

----------

I'm pretty sure they'll give you a template for it.

You don't need business planning software, graphs, or any other BS. It may look nice, but your job is to produce new business... not business plans.

----------

But I'll also recommend that you do a personal SWOT analysis... to assess your internal (s)trengths, (w)eaknesses, external (o)pportunities, and (t)hreats.

Google it and do some introspection on this.

1.) My Overall strategy is to serve middle class families and small businesses achieve financial their desired level financial security.

2.) My tactics and plan to accomplish this will be meeting with people and gaining 25 qualified prospects a day. I will meet with each client and find out what tools I have will best meet their needs and goals.

That's basically what I came up with to answer your question and I know EJ wants 25 people to agree to future business when I first start door knocking.

I'm familiar with SWOT analysis and have done them before. I'll do one again to be updated for me in the new year

Oh God you need help. And I'm almost getting tired of giving it to you. (And I'm the nice one.) Business plan = Action Plan What is your overall strategy? What will be your tactics to accomplish your strategy and action plan? Those are the two questions that matter in your business plan. Anything else... is fluff. For year 2+... your business plan is simply one word: more. ---------- I'm pretty sure they'll give you a template for it. You don't need business planning software, graphs, or any other BS. It may look nice, but your job is to produce new business... not business plans. ---------- But I'll also recommend that you do a personal SWOT analysis... to assess your internal (s)trengths, (w)eaknesses, external (o)pportunities, and (t)hreats. Google it and do some introspection on this.

He is a lost cause...

Back