Selling Supplemental Insurance

ComeCorrect

Expert
I'm interested in finding out the in's & out's of selling supplemental insurance (accident/cancer/critical illness, etc...).

Do you have to sell face-to-face or can it be done by phone/internet?

Do you have to lead with a health or life product?

How do you find your prospects and what method(s) do you use to market to them?

Is it possible to make a decent living just selling these products?

Any other helpful information would be great. Thanks in advance.

If it would be possible to meet them face to face then it would be better to do so. Supplemental insurance are most likely to be dependent on some principal product so it is not so promising when you only depend on such to support you for a living.

If it would be possible to meet them face to face then it would be better to do so. Supplemental insurance are most likely to be dependent on some principal product so it is not so promising when you only depend on such to support you for a living.

I agree. I was selling for AFLAC and that is a hard road there. Learned a lot and shifting gears right now. I still offer aflac but I don't work for them I work for me now!

I agree. I was selling for AFLAC and that is a hard road there. Learned a lot and shifting gears right now. I still offer aflac but I don't work for them I work for me now!

You think the duck is the best value?
What about Combined?
Doesn't Colonial penn offer product?
Whose the best typically?

I'm only appointed with American General right now. I'm just trying to figure out if it would be worth my while to add more carriers & pursue this more aggressively.

American General has excellent basic supplemental products, and they are competitively priced.

Read the fine print and compare to others such as Colonial and Aflac, and you can honestly sell the value in their portfolio. I just replaced a Colonial L&A Cancer policy with AG's and it was more appealing to the client.

I'm on the brokerage side, but their supplemental products/prices are the same. You can make a living selling just supplement products, but it would be more difficult with just one carrier. All of them have slightly different twists on Accident, CI, and Cancer policies.

I wouldn't lead in with anything else. If they want something else, they'll tell you. If you canvass lower income people, they won't be able to afford it if you load them up and will drop everything. The persistency on well placed cancer products is incredible, but if you do it captive, the renewals will not be yours, if you leave the company.

Last edited:
American General has excellent basic supplemental products, and they are competitively priced.

Read the fine print and compare to others such as Colonial and Aflac, and you can honestly sell the value in their portfolio. I just replaced a Colonial L&A Cancer policy with AG's and it was more appealing to the client.

I'm on the brokerage side, but their supplemental products/prices are the same. You can make a living selling just supplement products, but it would be more difficult with just one carrier. All of them have slightly different twists on Accident, CI, and Cancer policies.

I wouldn't lead in with anything else. If they want something else, they'll tell you. If you canvass lower income people, they won't be able to afford it if you load them up and will drop everything. The persistency on well placed cancer products is incredible, but if you do it captive, the renewals will not be yours, if you leave the company.

-------------------------

You're talk'n indie correct?
Aflac, Colonial and American general?
Want to turn key off of our health clients.
How about some ph. #'s?

Back