Serious Marketing Question Regarding Licensed Property

Mburns

Expert
I am looking to do some different marketing in my area and had an idea I'm sure isn't allowed but wanted to ask anyway on the small chance it is - am I allowed to dress as a movie character or other licensed character to market insurance b2b canvassing? This is all kinds of prohibited by FINRA/Hollywood Licenses right?

I realize this is a pretty ridiculous question but I'm just trying to think outside the box to turn some heads.

Last edited:
Thinking about going door to door as Gonzo the Clown, Mickey Mouse, Elvis, or maybe Darth Vader? Now if you could only be the AFLAC duck or the GEICO geko!

I'm getting my Grim Reaper costume in a couple days....Can't wait for my life sales to go through the roof. :)

I am looking to do some different marketing in my area and had an idea I'm sure isn't allowed but wanted to ask anyway on the small chance it is - am I allowed to dress as a movie character or other licensed character to market insurance b2b canvassing? This is all kinds of prohibited by FINRA/Hollywood Licenses right?

I realize this is a pretty ridiculous question but I'm just trying to think outside the box to turn some heads.

One thing that you are not in danger of is getting into any kind of trouble. If you have a funny costume and are really serious, I will pay-pal you $25 to make 5 insurance sales approaches and post the video.

One thing that you are not in danger of is getting into any kind of trouble. If you have a funny costume and are really serious, I will pay-pal you $25 to make 5 insurance sales approaches and post the video.

I realize it's dumb but I am very serious. Humor is my favorite form of marketing and has worked wonders for me so far. I know I would be in danger of getting in trouble - compliance exists for a reason.

But seriously, if it's possible it would be pretty funny to walk in dressed as a stormtrooper and talk about workplace benefits. They'd certainly remember when you called back. Whether that's because they called the police or because they are interested is yet to be determined.

I realize it's dumb but I am very serious. Humor is my favorite form of marketing and has worked wonders for me so far. I know I would be in danger of getting in trouble - compliance exists for a reason.

But seriously, if it's possible it would be pretty funny to walk in dressed as a stormtrooper and talk about workplace benefits. They'd certainly remember when you called back. Whether that's because they called the police or because they are interested is yet to be determined.

Aside from possible trademark infringement you're probably fine. What does FINRA have to do with selling insurance?

Do you read, and watch the news??? Within 10 minutes you will be taken down by a real swat team, or shot by someone packing heat.

Josh said:
Aside from possible trademark infringement you're probably fine. What does FINRA have to do with selling insurance?

If he is a registered rep bus B/D is responsible for supervising him even when selling insurance or anything for that matter which is why he has to not only file an outside business activity form for all outside business to included volunteer time but it still must be approved by the B/D prior to the commencement of the activity.

Did I ever mention how I have felt free since U5ing from my last B/D. (Side note was at a birthday party yesterday and my uncle is taking over a nationwide agency and wants me to sell the financial product for the agency I said no because reregistering was a requirement...He doesn't really need me as he is a good life and annuity guy he just doesn't want to get FINRA registered again)

If he is a registered rep bus B/D is responsible for supervising him even when selling insurance or anything for that matter which is why he has to not only file an outside business activity form for all outside business to included volunteer time but it still must be approved by the B/D prior to the commencement of the activity.

Did I ever mention how I have felt free since U5ing from my last B/D. (Side note was at a birthday party yesterday and my uncle is taking over a nationwide agency and wants me to sell the financial product for the agency I said no because reregistering was a requirement...He doesn't really need me as he is a good life and annuity guy he just doesn't want to get FINRA registered again)

I get that, but I didn't see any reference to that.

Back