Starting Captive or Independent

SecondCareer

I am looking to becoming an insurance agent. I am currently employed an a different industry, and I am not sure on the best transition to the industry. I worked part time, after my job, in a captive agents office for over a year. I had an opportunity to start an agency with that company a year ago, but the timing wasn't right. I am thinking of three options. 1. Pursuing the captive agent role with previous company. 2. Starting an independent agency, using a cluster, while I still keep my current job. 3. Working as a producer for an independent agent, after my other job, with my own personal book, and when my production is high enough, going out on my own IA. Any ideas on what may be the best option? My dilema is giving up a decent salary to go captive or to keep my job and start building my book on the side.

I am looking to becoming an insurance agent. I am currently employed an a different industry, and I am not sure on the best transition to the industry. I worked part time, after my job, in a captive agents office for over a year. I had an opportunity to start an agency with that company a year ago, but the timing wasn't right. I am thinking of three options. 1. Pursuing the captive agent role with previous company. 2. Starting an independent agency, using a cluster, while I still keep my current job. 3. Working as a producer for an independent agent, after my other job, with my own personal book, and when my production is high enough, going out on my own IA. Any ideas on what may be the best option? My dilema is giving up a decent salary to go captive or to keep my job and start building my book on the side.

There was another guy that had a thread almost identical to this one. You 2 seem to have a lot in common...you should get together and compare notes.:)

Welcome to the Forum and good luck.

There was another guy that had a thread almost identical to this one. You 2 seem to have a lot in common...you should get together and compare notes.:)

As a fellow Illini, can you give me a little more help on where I can find this thread?

As a fellow Illini, can you give me a little more help on where I can find this thread?

I was just joking with you because you posted the same thread twice.

There have been quite a few recently with similar situations as yours. I'd suggest you repost your thread in the P&C Forum, you'll get more responses from agents in the area you want to pursue.

Sounds like you've got a plan and you're not jumping in with your eyes closed. Good luck!:)

I was just joking with you because you posted the same thread twice.

There have been quite a few recently with similar situations as yours. I'd suggest you repost your thread in the P&C Forum, you'll get more responses from agents in the area you want to pursue.

Sounds like you've got a plan and you're not jumping in with your eyes closed. Good luck!:)

Thanks

I am new to the forum but not to the industry. I feel like your questions really haven't been answered. A captive agency can look appealing but your bottom line can be a lot lower because you are selling for someone else's pockets. Independent agency in the long run would benefit you. You could continue working while building so you continue your income stream until you are comfortable at some point... You can pm me and we can discuss further!

Back