Starting a Home Based P and C Agency

Roenick27

Expert
I've been a captive agent for a while now and it is time for a change. I am considering opening up an independent agency from an office, but also had the idea about starting from home 1st to try and drive some business in 1st and then make the move. Has anyone had any success operating primarily a p and c agency from home? Which companies (I know progressive will) will appoint you from home (can show them a number of years of profitable business/production).

I'd love to hear from anyone that has done this as if it is possible, I think it is the way I would be leaning. Also do you use a po box as your address or do you use your home address?

I've been a captive agent for a while now and it is time for a change. I am considering opening up an independent agency from an office, but also had the idea about starting from home 1st to try and drive some business in 1st and then make the move. Has anyone had any success operating primarily a p and c agency from home? Which companies (I know progressive will) will appoint you from home (can show them a number of years of profitable business/production).

I'd love to hear from anyone that has done this as if it is possible, I think it is the way I would be leaning. Also do you use a po box as your address or do you use your home address?

You need to go to the P&C forum.

Where are you located? If you live in one of our growth areas, I can hook you up with someone to talk to. I am Recruiting Sales Manager with Nationwide in the Independent Channel.

I know there are a few companies that will allow you to sell P & C from a home office. But when my ex and I started her independent office she was told by some of the Bigger carriers that she wanted appointments with that she had to have a store front office.

Thank you everyone who shares on this forum. I am interested in trying to pursue a slow startup from home as well. I appreciate the insight and guidance. I agree indy vs captive. And I believe in looking out for the client's best interests above everything.

Would anyone be open to a phone call to share knowledge and experiences? I am in CA with about 6 months direct industry experience.

Thanks!

Here, even Progressive is making me have an office, which makes it almost impossible to start. I've decided more and more that I did not want to be captive to a cluster, but it is getting more and more difficult to start an agency. I have to say I'm quite dissapointed by a lot of these carriers I've been a captive agent for about 4 years and have a total of 7-8 years of experience as well as previous business ownership outside of the insurance industry. Most of these carriers (the ones that will talk to you) take FOREVER to do anything. It's almost like they want you to be unemployed (leave a captive) for a few months before they will appoint you. For obvious reasons, I'm not sure I want to start an agency on that foot, especially a Progressive only (or maybe another carrier or 2). Some of the carriers have even told me they won't appoint me until Progressive does (this isn't a top tier carrier IMO, so then why should I steer business you're way instead of Progressive?). Regardless, a very frustrating experience on my end.

If you fave anything close to what I've faced, I would say choices now are:
-Stay captive
-Cluster
-Start with progressive only
-Leave insurance for a time and then apply while you are working outside of the industry( to me this makes no sense, but otherwise it's almost like you need to be prepared to sit on the bench unemployed for a few months-then dole out start up)

I know there are a few companies that will allow you to sell P & C from a home office. But when my ex and I started her independent office she was told by some of the Bigger carriers that she wanted appointments with that she had to have a store front office.

Anyone have any carriers list that are willing to help small home office agencies get their foot on the door? Clusters seem too restrictive .

It is hard to get contracts when you work out of a home office.

It is probably best just to call them directly and see if they are
ok with it.

When I went independent, some of the carriers even made me send
them pics of my office before they would appoint me.

Back