Starting With MassMutual Out of College

tonysoprano24

Hey guys I'm a 21 year old college senior majoring in Finance at UGA...anyways graduating this may and have had two interviews with MassMutual...got the third one on thursday...anyways...I was just wondering MassMutual seems to have a pretty good training staff and I feel like they want their people to do well...so my question is...Do they make you sell to friends/family first...and if not how do you get your "initial" sales with MassMutual...i guess its different for every firm

Originally I had financial planning as a "back up" but seeing the way things are in the economy...banking is not hiring anywhere...there are some management positions that I'm looking at but its not really "my field"

Reason I ask is that I have researched extensively into this career and this company...I know its hard in the beginning...I'll be living with my parents anyways...I know all the pros/cons...I just prefer selling to strangers...

Will I be starting off on the wrong foot if I dont start off by selling to friends/family or calling them up...I don't know many people except college students and I doubt they'll be buying insurance at 21...

Sorry for the long post it seems the interviewing is going well and I dont want to be offered a job and then not know the answer if im gonna accept it or not

Basically if you didn't feel like reading all that my question is how are you expected to get your first sales with MassMutual? friends/family or do they provide some leads or you cold call etc...

Master the art of Networking...

Look for a local chapter of B N I in your area as one option.

I went to a networking mixer for the CA Restaurant Association last night. Was cool - held at the Kettle One Vodka HQ's here in Aliso Viejo. I mention this all because I went with a life and financial services guy who has a series 6 / 63 and all sorts of stuff ... AND a Life License - but ... guess what - he looks for people to network with to handle the Life pieces. He only wants the Assets to manage.

26 yr old kid - in the biz a few short years. An animal.

260 cold call dials per day. He spoke to 10,000 people last year.

You young guns can form alliances ... and team up. There's noting stopping you from kicking complete ARSE and Taking Nmaes my friend.

MassMu is a good company. It isnt going to be easy but its doable. I also speak every two weeks with another MasMu agent in Irvine CA who talks to - meets with as in Face Time with nearly 250 people per month - many times more than that. We have a bi-weekly apppointment and we disccuss 3-4 people we've meet while netowrking or clients we think will be of benefit to the other.

All that to say - go for it and learn about NETWORKING and REFERRALS.

MassMutual is a solid company as are many of the career companies like Northwestern Mutual, New York Life, etc. Whether you can be successful right out of college depends on your natural network.

Were you born and raised in the area you are now attending college? Be honest with yourself how many people you know that would talk to you about life insurance. You won't have much credibility with friends and family early on, but hopefully they'll at least open up their life insurance portfolios for you so that your GA can help analyze the case.

But yes, ultimately you'll be marketing to your friends and family until you can get settled. And there's nothing wrong with that btw. And you need these individuals to refer you to their friends. Otherwise, once you make your initial rounds, your lead pool will dry up.

Hey guys I'm a 21 year old college senior majoring in Finance at UGA...anyways graduating this may and have had two interviews with MassMutual...got the third one on thursday...anyways...I was just wondering MassMutual seems to have a pretty good training staff and I feel like they want their people to do well...so my question is...Do they make you sell to friends/family first...and if not how do you get your "initial" sales with MassMutual...i guess its different for every firm

Originally I had financial planning as a "back up" but seeing the way things are in the economy...banking is not hiring anywhere...there are some management positions that I'm looking at but its not really "my field"

Reason I ask is that I have researched extensively into this career and this company...I know its hard in the beginning...I'll be living with my parents anyways...I know all the pros/cons...I just prefer selling to strangers...

Will I be starting off on the wrong foot if I dont start off by selling to friends/family or calling them up...I don't know many people except college students and I doubt they'll be buying insurance at 21...

Sorry for the long post it seems the interviewing is going well and I dont want to be offered a job and then not know the answer if im gonna accept it or not

Basically if you didn't feel like reading all that my question is how are you expected to get your first sales with MassMutual? friends/family or do they provide some leads or you cold call etc...
You can be proud of Mass products - this is essential for building your confidence. Having said that they have their own way of doing things (just like every other co) and you shouldn't limit yourself by falling in love with it.
You can get enough business through referrals from your friends and family. The key is a little bit of prospecting EVERYDAY - don't set a day or two just for prospecting. As long as you are doing some kind of prospecting EVERYDAY it will get easier and easier until you start to enjoy it. If you can enjoy prospecting you are guaranteed to succeed.

Back