Starting my Own Agency

laguirre01

Please Help! I am starting my own Agency and I got the office. I am going to start by my self and work alone for a few months if I get A DBA under my personal lines license will that be enough to start selling for the insurance companies? Or is the something else I have to do?

Last edited:
I started out in Life and Health working from the house and didn't even bother with a DBA, I still file some stuff schedule C on my taxes. It's not the most protective way to begin, but it's better than not making any money. In my state, you can file all of your articles with the secretary of state for an LLC, or C Corp for $50-$100. The caveat is that you have to know what your doing. I had a lot of business courses in college, so I was comfortable doing it all myself. If you need general business help i recommend score.org.

Good luck to you taking this major step! Please let us know your progress. Would you also be hiring a staff of agents and office workers, or doing everything yourself (if alone, why need an office)?

The only thing I can suggest to you from experience is spending money on things like and office and staff. If you can work from home and keep the overhead low until you gain your footing that would be best. I ended up taking my whole agency virtual and it saved me thousands each month.

Back