Starting on My Own in NC, Preferably in P&C. Any Good Sources?

NCAgent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Hey guys!

I've been a long-time lurker here but I haven't felt I was qualified enough to really post on here anything because of the limited scope by which I practiced insurance.

A quick history on me: I've got a BS in biology from UNC-Charlotte in NC and worked as an Allstate insurance call center rep for 16 months. I currently have my P&C license but I am in the process of pursuing life and health as well. In my household I have 2 other insurance agents from Allstate that live with me as roommates who are looking to quit; I have already quit Allstate. We would all like to start off being our own agents that specialize in life/health or P&C. All of us have our P&C and studying for our life and health license.

From reading on here I understand it's a lot easier to get life and health appointments to be independent agents than P&C. I am willing to go the harder route for P&C because it interests me more and the other 2 agents show more of an interest in health and life; one of the other agents is looking to specialize in all 4 lines (so am I) but we all know to start off small and grow from there.

So here are a few things in which I'm trying to ask help from if at all possible:

1) Would it be better for all of us to represent the same business or just operate as our own independents? I don't see any benefit to being a business but that's going a little farther out than I planned right now.

2) Does anyone know a good independent agent or other agency that I could work for P&C (preferably in DUI insurance as well because I have a decent base of people I can contact in that area) or some other great resource for both appointments and also for independent learning if possible? I've taught myself biology and chemistry so I feel I can self-study insurance if necessary. I've already got a year's worth of experience in knowing coverages and whatnot for P&C through Allstate and I think I'd like to go ahead and focus on that first and build from there.
----I would preferably like the opportunity to start developing my own BOB or appointments while I am with them but I understand I would probably have to start over. Eventually I will be moving to Durham/Raleigh area so I figure the book won't really even matter much to me. however, I have several business contacts who I can write for P&C possibly and I'd like to keep them since they would be comfortable talking to me (old friends doing their own businesses)

3) I've seen some good resources for life and health like agent agent navigator and ILIAA. Are there any other good ones for life and health? Are there any other good ones for P&C? I didn't find an ICIAA or IPIAA for P&C. I know agent navigator could work for P&C, too though.

4) Does anyone know the basic L&H or P&C appointments to get? What are the big competitors/big names in insurance in NC? If no one wants to tell me or doesn't know the full info, where would I find this out?

For the quick summary:

-Hi I'm new!
-Allstate P&C call center rep 16 months exp. looking to be an IA with 2 other people with the same experience.

- Should we all be independent or form one agency?

-Who can I find in Charlotte, NC that I can sign under for P&C? Or at least train under? Same for L&H for people. Or any other people to talk to? Maybe Raleigh/Durham area?

- What are some good sources for P&C and L&H if we can't sign under a GA or IA to be our own bosses?

-Who are the easiest players to get appointments with? Who are the big players to get appointments with? This is for both L&H and P&C.

Thanks a bunch for the help! I'm more than willing to answer any questions on Allstate-specific information, NC insurance law if I know it, things of that nature. I want to be a part of the forum and learn from you guys and maybe help out some other people as I get better at this stuff :biggrin:

Last edited:
Re: Starting on My Own in NC, Preferably in P&C. Any Good Sources

I would like to explore P&C too, but the reality is it is a lot harder to get started. The only IMOs to help you start out I found were the large companies like insurance noodle, Superior Access, Smartchoice, Agent Secure (need a year of expierience) and SiAA (Need something like 10k to get on with them).

Let me know if you have any luck finding one that works for you. I don't think any of the first three mentioned let you be the agent of record. So, how can you build a record with the carrier if that is the case?

I am new also, so these are just some thoughts. I may be misunderstood! I don't have expierience with any of these companies.

Also, it might help if someone could create a comparison chart showing the pros and cons of these IMOs. Things such as fees, who owns book of business and who is the agent of record.

Matt

Back