Starting New Department Within an Established Agency

GoodGuy

Hi everybody!

I was hoping against hope that I may be able to get some advice from you folks.

I have six years as a captive agent for two separate agencies, successfully serving Life and Health product needs. The are both call center models, please don't stop reading:embarrassed:. I know overall, and even on this forum, call centers are not well regarded, but my experience has been very positive, helpful for my clients, and successful for my employers and I.

I do well enough in fact, that the place I work for now, has asked that I help set up a nationwide call center. We will focus on FE, Med Supps, MAPDs, and the usual ancillaries. Here's the thing, I can sell, but once I looked into a business plan, it was nothing but, worms within cans, within cans of worms, sort of a Russian nesting doll of rabbit holes.

I have decided on lead streams for now. I have turned the focus on getting contracts with the specific carriers I know, that offer application infrastructure needed for telephonic enrollments. I know who they are, having worked with them before. This is where my experience fails me, any help would be cheerfully appreciated.

*** Who, generally speaking, is the person at the carrier I need to speak to with regard to setting up a contract with our agency? Can I just google a job title and carrier name?

*** What, broadly, are the requirements of the agency to begin speaking with that person, business plan, book size, years in business? Do I need any of those things? Anything else?

*** I guess lastly, since this is not exactly a paid consultation; Am I entirely out of my league here, or is this something a person of average intelligence can fake till they make it.

I understand that the general consensus among agents is that call center people are of the turn and burn variety, but I assure you that is not the case with me, my clients actually follow me around, of their own volition. So please don't think that by helping, you are contributing to an ugliness. This opportunity would be a life changer for me, and for now, I am feeling in a little over my head.

Help?

Last edited:
Back