State Farm Agent Vs. Farmers Agent

Best Company first new agents.

• Farmers Insurance

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • State Farm

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Both of these companies will do things that make it extremely difficult to leave if you don't like the direction of the company in a year or 2. Basically, you'll end up in debt to your eyebrows to the company.

They both offer some good things at the same time, mostly training and support that can be hard to get elsewhere. Which one is better will depend a LOT on where you are and who you work with in each organization. If they truly train you and support you and don't just serve the company kool-aid, you can get a lot out of them. Unfortunately, this isn't usually the case.

As Phill said, call some agents in the area and talk with them. Talk with a variety of agents though, some that are newer (less then 2 years), some that have been around for 5 or so years and then 1 or 2 that have been there for over 10 years. You'll get different perspectives from each.

Try to talk to a couple of independents (go a town over) and ask how they win and lose against these guys. It might cost you a lunch, but it will be a good conversation.

Dan

Good advice. Thank You Dan.

Well you have a decision tree here. I'll lead you down one path, but it is biased.

"Begin with the end in mind"- 7 habits of Highly effective people.

Decision #1:

What end of the Ins Spectrum do you want? if you answered P&C keep reading. If ''Other" wait for the others to respond

Decision #2: Captive or Independent.

Captive:
Pro: They will teach you a lot but inevitably you will go Indy at some point in your career. Another Pro, they will subsidize your life for a time.
Con: The District Manager will push too hard or force life on you or cut your commissions or change your contract, or, ext, ext. Your Captive will take rate increases and kill your production and you will have one price point while others dissect your book one policy at a time.

Independent: :
Pro: Control expenses. Get higher commission. Higher conversion. Higher retention. All of those factors equal more money.
Con: Starting out. Getting knowledge. Your personality type could sink yourself.

Decision #3:

Once you decide Indy is for you, in the next week or 22 yrs from now. The question will be how to do it. Your options include:

Buy an agency.
Join a group.
Become a producer for an agency.
Get direct appointments.
Get an agency that provides the back end service so you can hunt full time.

You decide which one is best for you.

Decision #4: What group should I join?

There are a lot. Consider the following. NOT ALL GROUPS ARE CREATED EQUAL! They range from good, better and best.

Any group claiming to be best of class should provide the following:
1. Transparency
2. Training and support
3. Carrier Alignment
4. and a great Contract
Give me a call, shoot me am IM. Good luck and have fun with your choices.

I have been in Insurance for 14+ years and the great thing in this industry is you can choose to never stop learning. Your learning curve is never ending. Meaning you will never get board.

a few of you have said that you can't leave because they (SF and F) will have you in debt to your eyeballs. How exactly do they manage that?

Back