State Farm Team Member Compensation

Sometimes I wonder. why are commissions on auto insurance so low. even for an agent/owner. I sell shoes and I get 9% of the full sale, sell cars and you get 25% of the net profit, and then puny 6-7% on insurance. I would think insurance would have the highest commissions since there are no production or supply costs other than holding money and keeping track of the money, other than that CEO's and all corporate people eat up most of the premium. I wished insurance sales people...the front lines men and women of an insurance company, were compensated generously. Geez this world is kind of messed up. 90% of the premiums are profitable, we sales get 6-7%, 30% goes towards operations costs, then the rest 40+% goes into undeserving peoples pockets who do absolutely nothing but had a family lineage that back dated to the forefathers who created the insurance company, basically rich people back in the early 1900s.

There is a lot more to it than that. In fact, most of the premium goes back into paying claims. Most companies make money off investing it while they have it vs the actual unused premiums.

Insurance commissions can be very high, go sell LTC, annuities, or life insurance. You might want to give final expense a try. It has to do with the line of insurance. The commission partially comes down to how hard it is to get the business. You don't really have to sell people on the idea of car insurance, most people know they need it anyway so they're price whores. There are other ways of selling p&c, but that's more or less what the industry is. Life insurance? Pay something every month until the day you die when you won't get any direct benefit from it? That's a tougher sell.

If you really want to learn where premium dollars go, have a chat with an actuary. It's easy to demonize the carriers, but the reality is that they don't just make up excuses to charge people money.

With the added insight from your posts, you won't like the SF position and you should walk away. There is no reason to stick around when you know you won't be happy with it. Your best chance at making that coin is with life insurance, not with the "get rich slow" p&c world.

There is a lot more to it than that. In fact, most of the premium goes back into paying claims. Most companies make money off investing it while they have it vs the actual unused premiums.

Insurance commissions can be very high, go sell LTC, annuities, or life insurance. You might want to give final expense a try. It has to do with the line of insurance. The commission partially comes down to how hard it is to get the business. You don't really have to sell people on the idea of car insurance, most people know they need it anyway so they're price whores. There are other ways of selling p&c, but that's more or less what the industry is. Life insurance? Pay something every month until the day you die when you won't get any direct benefit from it? That's a tougher sell.

If you really want to learn where premium dollars go, have a chat with an actuary. It's easy to demonize the carriers, but the reality is that they don't just make up excuses to charge people money.

With the added insight from your posts, you won't like the SF position and you should walk away. There is no reason to stick around when you know you won't be happy with it. Your best chance at making that coin is with life insurance, not with the "get rich slow" p&c world.

I did approve to sell life, but I don't know any good life insurance companies or agencies to work for in my area, im from minnesota. The only places that I know are recruiting are American income life, and First financial security, and they are horrible MLM's in my opinion. Highest turnover and most make no money. I want to go into a life selling company, that already have clients lined up to buy and I just set appointments and give presentations. unless you know of a good company that actually has people to sell to.

Geez this world is kind of messed up. 90% of the premiums are profitable, we sales get 6-7%, 30% goes towards operations costs, then the rest 40+% goes into undeserving peoples pockets who do absolutely nothing but had a family lineage that back dated to the forefathers who created the insurance company, basically rich people back in the early 1900s.

Where did you get these numbers from? Loss ratios are upwards of 25% for P&C products. And if you want more of the commission become an agency owner.

It's been said a few times already, there really isn't a right or wrong answer here. The factors associated with this include long-term goals (agency owner, corporate, sales, education, different lines) and talent at selling. If you can sell, go for better lines of insurance that require some REAL sales/knowledge. If you aren't great at it, grab a phone and a computer and hit the bullpen. There is no shame either way. Money is money, right? If you're happy doing it, go for it. From my experience, this a fair offer. My first P&C was fairly generous, IMO. I was getting a very livable hourly wage, full 40 hour weeks, full office support, full marketing/call support and 5% of both new and renewals. Agency owner just asked that whatever he paid me be covered by his 5% of the commish. Worked out well for everyone because I happened to be pretty good at it.

Back