State Farm / Team Member

Curious, what is difference between being a licensed agent and a team member?
I am interviewing with an agency as an agent. Wondering what the difference is.

I just recently worked with a State Farm Agent. We were all licensed (P&C/L&AS) team members who were paid salary + commissions. They tell you that once you work with an agent, you can be eligible to own a State Farm agency as an actual agent.

Nothing is different. Your not the principle of the agency. Your a team member. If your licensed you can sell. If your not then you push paper, payments, and answer the phone. Anyone with a license is an agent.

You can expect to learn the business and not get rich in the process. Pay will depend upon the agency but my understanding is not real attractive.

The State Farm TICA I worked for just opened the agency in Nov 2014. The agent started with three "team members" and is already down to one. The agent is late every morning. Leaves early at least once a week. A few times a month disappears without telling staff location and/or length of time expected to be gone. Already took a sick day and vacation day by Jan 1). Actually told staff that because we are paid we need to work harder. Flat $10 "commission" on new P&C without regard to the premium. (Staff earned ZERO commission for Nov & Dec 2014 because we did not meet the sales goal) Nothing on renewals. Expecting staff to meet sales goals each month from (terrible) internet leads, mailings (that generated maybe 4 phone calls) and constantly harassing current customers to buy more insurance (especially life insurance). Have to push bank products and disability/hospital income policies. I left. I cannot see a future there. I don't think the agency will last til the end of 2015. Is this typical new agent behavior? Any thoughts/comments?

----------

Many State Farm agents in my area are always hiring I don't know if that's a good thing are not.
It's not a good thing. Many agents go through staff constantly because "team members" (I HATE that term, sorry) are required to meet sales goals while having to do a **** ton of service work. State Farm agents do not have dedicated CSR's. You have to be an "expert in P&C and LA&H as well as bank products plus do all the service work. Calling State Farm direct with any question wastes a TON of time as hold times are anywhere from 10-20 minutes but you still need to meet those goals. When I suggested that I focus on service work to let the other staff focus on sales, I was told my hours and pay would be cut.

Its just like anywhere else. There are good SF agents and bad SF agents. Keep in mind that home office puts requirements on types of plans sold, so that really pushes the agents to sell life, DI or whatever.

I think if you are trying to break into the biz, this is a great way to start. You can see what works,doesn't work and most importantly, whether or not you are suited to the business.

My best piece of advice to people who are looking at becoming a "team member" and actually sell, is look for agents who have been around more than 3 (preferably 5) years. Then you are learning from a successful agent. Not just another person thrown against the wall, in the hope that they would stick.

Nothing is different. Your not the principle of the agency. Your a team member. If your licensed you can sell. If your not then you push paper, payments, and answer the phone. Anyone with a license is an agent.
In the last 20 years I have worked for 3 different State Farm agents. Please note that I am licensed in P&C and LAH. As a courtesy I am also a Notary Public. The State Farm agents I worked for never allowed me to refer to myself as a agent, only as a staff member or team member (I HATE the term team member). The last SF agent I worked for (a TICA) referred to us as "workers"

Back