Strip Mall Prospecting

Reuben

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I took, for me at least, a rather large leap of faith this afternoon.

I went to pick some things up at a book store in the city of Orange this afternoon and visited about a dozen or so stores, Doctors offices, hair salon, etc., and left my card with assorted managers.

I'd welcome some guidence on what one should say while doing this visits; it's been over 25 years since I've done this sort of thing and I'm a tad out of practice.

What are some of the things one could say while visiting?

I'd like to look at their group life/health/dental, and disability at some point.

I've got several cards, and a request for a follow up visit by a clinics office manager.

Any suggestions gratefuly accepted!

What I do is drop off some info on myself and then get the card of the controller/decision makers.
I then call them back and start a conversation about benefits. I always ask are you satisfied with your current group health? If you get anywhere with them then try to set up a meeting to dig into the nuts and bolts of their benefits.
Then quote.

My approach I close maybe 2%.

I will say on groups under 5 lives I have picked up AOR's on the spot.:biggrin:

</IMG>

I would try to come away from each business with a minimum of two things: the decision maker's name and business card. I would try to speak to the decision maker and if not available would find out the best time to call back. I would not leave my business card but if I left anything I would leave some type of one page teaser sheet. This sheet with either be some type of marketing piece or sample rates for some product. It would be simple, plain, and something to catch attention not the fancy stuff put out by the home office.

Last edited:
I just tell them "I work with health insurance and I wanted to stop in and introduce myself. Who is the person to speak with?"

Not there/won't talk with me/ect. - get business card, leave flyer

If I get the owner: "Hi, Tom, this is Delta, I'm a health insurance broker and I was just next door meeting with Ted. I don't know what your situation is, but I've talked to a number of small businesses frusterated with their premiums lately and I wanted to see if it would make sense for us to have a conversation sometime?"

I have picked up some groups and IFP business this way. I don't do full fledged B2B anymore, but I usually stop into the neighboring businesses before or after appointments.

Thanks for the help and the advice.

As for flyers, I'm "captive" with an agency who works for MassMutual and I'm limited as to what I can leave, any self produced items need to be screened by "head office" for compliance issues, so my options are limited.

My problem, like so many newbies, is not that I'm tongue tied, speaking in public has never been a problem, it's that I'm not sure how much/little to say in those first 30 seconds.

I do like "Delta76's" suggestions.

Any ither "scripts" or suggestions?

Thanks, by the way, for the imput.

In my brief career as an agent, I learned that some strip malls have locked sections, accessible only to employees and the mail carrier. Figure out when the mail comes. Then follow it in. :biggrin:

There are plenty of accessable people to speak with, no need to "break in". Seriously, this is still very much a numbers game. Keep it conversational and take a quick no, most people will be indifferent to your stop. A few will be pricks and a few will be qualified leads.

Back