Torchmark?

Cinnamon

1. Let me say first that I have a long successful work history that has never taken me into the insurance industry. And I do not pan the insurance industry as a whole. I just cannot afford to get involved with a company or a "job" that is not real or is in some way scamming me.
  2. I reside in NJ and have been looking for a job for over a year. In that time I have become aware that there are a lot of insurance companies about who are trying to recruit entry level workers for jobs that are 100% commission. That's all well and good, how insurance works. I turned down an offer like that two years ago that did have potential down the road and that was from a solid, reputable company. I simply could not afford to start out on 100% commission. I know that there is a great opportunity in some of those positions for someone with proven high sales ability but I have no sale background and cannot afford to avail myself of that sort of opportunity. I need a paying job at this point in time. So I have been avoiding those opportunities.

Two days ago I intensified my job search which means that my resume is "out there" big time. Today I got a phone all from a company called "Torchmark". The woman said something about "Human Resources," which struck me as odd as I had not responded to any human resources postings. I asked what the job was and she said her boss had been given my resume and has several jobs he was trying to fill. She said she did not know which job he might have in mind for me. I did not think to ask what industry Torchmark was in. I made an appointment for later this week and then began to research Torchmark online as I had not heard of that corporation before.

What I found online about Torchmark immediately set off alarms in my mind as it is involved with insurance companies and I knew I had not applied to any. However there are many legit jobs in insurance companies so I was trying to keep an open mind. Then I found a RIPOFF REPORT clearly suggesting a fly in the ointment. And I found a posting here at Insurance Forums, from 2011, saying the site has not had a "Torchmark thread" for a long time.

I would like to hear feedback regarding whether there is any reason why I should entertain this pending job interview? or should I just cancel it? [At this point is is really "Talk me out of canceling it if there is a reason not to cancel it."] I really cannot afford to have my time and energies wasted and I know I cannot afford to work for 100% commission even for a company that really does offer a legitimate opportunity, which it does not sound like Torchmark does from everything I have seen online. Am I judging too quickly and risking throwing away a good job opportunity? Or is it most apt to be as it appears?

Last edited:
Let me get this straight:

After looking for a job for over a year, you just intensified your search over the past two days? Then, while in your frenzied zeal for employment, Torchmark appeared like a beacon in the middle of a dark lonely night?

Reading your rambling, I think Torchmark would be a great place for you! I do believe it's destiny.

Run from Torchmark, run. This is a 100% commission job with a company I would not go with.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for responding usefully and in a kind manner.

Torchmark's a huge company that owns many large insurance companies. Their reputation has gone south the past 15 years. I was with them 16 years and wouldn't recommend them now.

Did they say how they got your resume? I guess that companies can pull your resume off Monster, Career Builders, etc. using key words. Were you in Human Recourses before? They might actually have that job open somewhere...but I'd steer clear of them for sales!:no:

Most likely hiring for AIL, either way I agree you may want to start running. Just read up on them and the past post from hear. Then make a decision that's right for u.

I don't know what your background is......But how many times in your past have you been essentially cold called about a position you did not apply for, that the recruiter says your resume was given to them and that they have multiple opening and she was not sure which position they had in mind for you?

That right there should tell you the position they are looking at for you is a throw you against the wall and see if you stick position.

Torchmark like many have mentioned owns many insurance companies and has gotten a reputation on this forum as not the greatest. To be fair this forum is frequented mainly by independent agents with experience and don't look to kindly on many of these positions. My advice if you can not take a commission only position then realize this interview will be mainly a waste of your time, I would tell you it would be good experience to work on your interview skills but the reality is if your breathing they will have a position for you.

Back