What to Do when 'Warm List' SUCKS?

Pandorian

So I started working as an agent recently selling life, annuities and such. To get started they had me create a 'warm list' of all the people I know to contact to get started. Supposedly I would be able to have an easier time signing them up and getting on a referral basis.

I have a list of about a hundred folks and am adding more names as I remember people. I have one good thing in the works that could involve setting up the insurance for a business, but everything else is bleh...

I call them up, set up an appointment easily enough with them, and then I have been no showed a few times, followed up, and it's like they are ignoring me. I have even tried sending them handwritten notes to the flakes.

So just how useful is a 'warm market' list anyways. Oh yeah, if you are having chips and stuff at your house, they are all for it, but you try to mention insurance to them, they forget you even exist.

I found the best rates for this couple I have seen since being licensed, it would have given them more insurance with a top rated company for the price, and they didn't like the policy. Go figure.

I am thinking I would have better luck knocking doors or cold calling out of the white or yellow pages.

I really don't have the money to do major advertising or anything like that. I mean how good are leads that you purchase?

Any ideas for generating business 'off' of the 'warm' list, because mine doesn't seem so warm?

The best thing you can do is just let them know what you do. They will come to you if they need something. No appointments...just a letter saying "this is what I'm doing now; please keep me in mind if I can help". Like you've found out, when you try to approach friends and family, they will start to run in the other direction.

As far as getting your business started, the best thing I can recommend is going to the library and getting a FREE list of businesses with owner names. Then start calling and see what comes up. You might also see if you can work a list of orphans to get you started and help you hone your skills. Some people on here have good luck buying lists, but I dont' know if I would spend money on actual leads if you're just starting out.

Oh, one more word of advice. If you go the business owner route, start with a town 30 miles away for you to "practice on".

Hope this helps and good luck!

What are you offering them again??? Come over and buy something or what??

Offer to do something for free for them. Like give them a free credit report, free living will, review their insurance coverage and if they are your friends show them what your doing to help others and how you are making a living.

My warm list was the newspaper. Tons of great prospects in it.

There are a few small towns about 30 miles away I could 'practice' on. Travel the local area, see what they do. Gain skills. Good idea.

Back