What Are a New Agents Biggest Challenges?

Insurancetechhead

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Insurance can be a tough industry to break into for a number of reasons. Lack of training, hilariously inept managers, Confusing products, having no idea how to market ect

So here's a question :idea:

For all the new agents what is your biggest challenge?

For the old war horses, What do you remember as your biggest challenge to give the new guys a heads up?

Knowing where to invest your time. Most dont know what they should be doing. A lot of agents just sit there and wait for someone to hand them everything or for someone to knock on their door wanting to buy insurance.

Knowing where to invest your time. Most dont know what they should be doing. A lot of agents just sit there and wait for someone to hand them everything or for someone to knock on their door wanting to buy insurance.

Or post. "I got my licence, Now what?" "What is the best...?" "Who is the best...?"

Hahaha, I remember my training week at woodmen where they spent 1,000's taking us to omaha then taught us nothing about marketing or sales, this was shortly followed by my training month with my hilariously sleazy manager where he taught me terrible things about sales.

What's the best, who's the best was how I started selling, that and I accidentally stumbled into the rosenthal files, very helpful

Hahaha, I remember my training week at woodmen where they spent 1,000's taking us to omaha then taught us nothing about marketing or sales, this was shortly followed by my training month with my hilariously sleazy manager where he taught me terrible things about sales.

What's the best, who's the best was how I started selling, that and I accidentally stumbled into the rosenthal files, very helpful

Are you still with Woodsmen? I never seem to run into them in these parts of NY. Curious as to what they're selling here.

Insurance can be a tough industry to break into for a number of reasons. Lack of training, hilariously inept managers, Confusing products, having no idea how to market ect

For the old war horses, What do you remember as your biggest challenge to give the new guys a heads up?

The biggest challenge is talking to enough of the right type of prospects. A new agent has one charge between the hours of 8-5 and that is be talking to prospects or fighting to talk to prospects.

I left woodman a year ago to go into marketing and training, The woodsmen claim to fame was our universal policy, It was actually quite good. Also as a fraternity you could position yourself in a very interesting manner (most agents were to lazy to do this though) As for the bulk of the business, we seem to be huge down south and we had the west coast Korean market locked up quite nicely
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The biggest challenge is talking to enough of the right type of prospects. A new agent has one charge between the hours of 8-5 and that is be talking to prospects or fighting to talk to prospects.

Lol, I learned that lesson when I tried to dial the white pages

Last edited:

Here is my challenge: To know more about the REAL ins and outs of insurance sales. My previous manager promised me it was all sunshine and rainbows and that I should forget 90% of what I learned about life insurance as well as telling me "You don't need to know that right now." every time I asked a question about insurance that didn't pertain to selling Lincoln Heritage. Everything I have learned so far is from my own research. So frustrating.

Biggest challenge as a new agent?

For P&C, making it to year 3. After that, it gets a lot better. If you can make it to year 2, things look brighter.

Here is my challenge: To know more about the REAL ins and outs of insurance sales. My previous manager promised me it was all sunshine and rainbows and that I should forget 90% of what I learned about life insurance as well as telling me "You don't need to know that right now." every time I asked a question about insurance that didn't pertain to selling Lincoln Heritage. Everything I have learned so far is from my own research. So frustrating.

find a system and stick to it! That is a huge key, If your selling lh then at least you have to stick to one product (a good thing)

The keys are

Prospecting
helping
selling
servicing

In that order

Also check out the rosenthalfiles.com some of the ideas from there helped me out quite a bit

Back