What Questions to Ask a Potential Employer?

lhpgators

Expert
Hello,

I'm just starting out as an agent. I've been an independent field adjuster for the last 10 years and decided to make the switch. What are the most important questions to ask a potential independent agent employer?

Also, is it appropriate to ask about ownership of the future book of business? Do independents give options of book ownership? My ultimate goal is to eventually go out on my own.

I don't mean to be"flippant" or come across as a smart $ss, but if it were me, I would simply ask all the questions I wanted the answer to. Don't hold back a question. Better to know the answer now than later I assure you.

I don't mean to be"flippant" or come across as a smart , but if it were me, I would simply ask all the questions I wanted the answer to. Don't hold back a question. Better to know the answer now than later I assure you.

Dear Mr. Flippant, (LOL J/K)

I agree 100%. I should have put in the op what questions I already plan on asking. I'm going to ask all the obvious ones like commission splits, benefits, etc.

I really want to know how to ask about ownership of the book. I don't know what the "norm" is when it comes to this in the independent environment. Is it customary for ownership to be an option or is the business always and forever going to be the agency's property? Or, as I suspect, are there different scenarios? Can you buy out the book?

Dear Mr. Flippant, (LOL J/K)

I agree 100%. I should have put in the op what questions I already plan on asking. I'm going to ask all the obvious ones like commission splits, benefits, etc.

I really want to know how to ask about ownership of the book. I don't know what the "norm" is when it comes to this in the independent environment. Is it customary for ownership to be an option or is the business always and forever going to be the agency's property? Or, as I suspect, are there different scenarios? Can you buy out the book?

All those questions should be discussed. Anything is possible. It all boils down to what the Agency wants and expects versus what you want and expect. Get their offer and come back here to get opinions on it.

Back