What Should my First Step Be?

rebiii

Hi,

I'm 55 and currently not working. I make a little money on the side from Internet sales, etc. I want to know if there is a viable first step I can take to get into insurance sales.

I get emails from AIL and other Torchmark companies, but according to a thread I found on this site, that's not the way to go. My question is: What is the right way to go?

I read the sticky at the top of this subforum, and I got lost right away. I'm not dumb, but I've never sold life insurance before, nor have I bought it, so I don't even know what "term" means. Think of me as the newest of newbies. I know nothing, basically.

I have ten years fund raising experience for a non-profit. Most of that was cold-calling at doors, but I did work up to renewal and high-donor work in person and on the phone. I know how to ask for money. I can talk to a wide range of people. I have a college degree, but I've also worked at blue-collar jobs, in the Teamsters Union, etc.

I do not have a wide social network. If selling insurance depends primarily on my inner circle, I'm sunk. Is there another way for me to begin making contacts?

Bottom line is, what first step do you recommend I take to get into this business? The goal is a 10+ year career at the end of my working life, with a good company. I look forward to your answers. Best, Bob

The Arizona Department of Insurance has a "producers" page with all the information you need about an insurance agent's license and the educational requirements.

https://insurance.az.gov/producers

Before you start looking for markets or employers your first step to meet the educational requirements and get licensed.

I have ten years fund raising experience for a non-profit. Most of that was cold-calling at doors, but I did work up to renewal and high-donor work in person and on the phone. I know how to ask for money. I can talk to a wide range of people.

That'll help because you'll do a lot of cold-calling on potential customers.

I have a college degree,

That only helps if college taught you to think and study.

You'll need to learn insurance from scratch. Once you figure out the education requirements for the license there are classes you can attend that are geared toward licensing. Oh yeah, it's "continuing" education which means you have to take approved classes in order to renew your license.

Here's some information about that.

https://insurance.az.gov/producers/producer-agentbroker/producer-agentbroker-continuing-education

It is exactly as adjuster jack says, the very first step no matter what is finding at all the information for your state and education requirements. You'll have to go through an education course and then take an exam.

As far as where you take your pre-exam education there are many good opportunities it will really come down to preference and price. If you study well, you'll pass.

Just a few off the top of my head are:
  • A. D. Banker & Company
  • Exam FX
  • Insurance License Express
  • Kaplan University

Back