Where to Go Next

ndash

Ohio
So I made the decision to quit my full time job as a construction project manager and get my P&C License and maybe L&H at a later date. I am working with my uncle to get my agency started, which is currently being run out of my house. We have discussed appointments, but not working directly for him and his business partner; is that something we need to discuss to get things going for me? FYI he represents Grange, Celina, Progressive, Auto-Owners, and Foremost, I think that there is no way for me to get Grange and Auto-Owners on my own just starting out. How do I go forward do I try and get appointments on my own and build up, work for my uncle for a while, or a combination of both options if possible? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would work with your uncle for a while and get your feet dirty. Get to know the sales rep's. Learn the business, gain some referral sources. Join and get involved in your local IIAB. Go to a couple meetings and meet the reps for carriers your interested in at the vendor tables.

I would have everything in writing with your uncle for his intentions and yours to make the exit plan easy. Also there is nothing wrong with building a book of business and working for someone else. Sometimes not having to deal with the overhead is best.

I would work with your uncle for a while and get your feet dirty. Get to know the sales rep's. Learn the business, gain some referral sources. Join and get involved in your local IIAB. Go to a couple meetings and meet the reps for carriers your interested in at the vendor tables.

I would have everything in writing with your uncle for his intentions and yours to make the exit plan easy. Also there is nothing wrong with building a book of business and working for someone else. Sometimes not having to deal with the overhead is best.

If you are just being paid a split on commission, be sure to get an agreement that you own the expiration dates of all the policies and clients. Meaning you own the book and it will allow you to roll to a company if the book gets to a size that would interest another company to appoint you directly. It should help after working with your uncle.

I would set up shop for at least 3 years with your Uncle, to build, sell and learn the business. Most P&C companies do not like working with newbies and will not appoint you directly until you have put your time in learning the biz.

Back