Why Do You Sell What You Sell?

Yes, I guess fear of poverty, especially with new health changes could make you always angry. Most of the rest of the world (including Brazil) really like Obama. Who knew I would be getting into an industry that would be so negatively affected by him? :no:

bill3173, what do you sell & how did you get started?

Major Medical, health supplements(including Medicare), disability insurance, Fixed Lifed and Annuity.

I took a job with American General as a captive agent, and did that for 2.5 years and learned the ropes a little bit and began contracting with several health and life carriers independently.

It was Nov. 2003 when I started and it really wasn't a "risky" venture back then. AG had a program that doesn't exist anymore that really made it easy to make the transition.

Last edited:
Major Medical, health supplements(including Medicare), disability insurance, Fixed Lifed and Annuity.

I took a job with American General as a captive agent, and did that for 2.5 years and learned the ropes a little bit and began contracting with several health and life carriers independently.

It was Nov. 2003 when I started and it really wasn't a "risky" venture back then. AG had a program that doesn't exist anymore that really made it easy to make the transition.

The more I look and learn, the more confused I am. I almost think it would be better for me to start captive too to learn the ropes as you say. It's just that having been on this site many hours every day for the past week has made me think that I can do better than a low contract level. If I can be successful, I will probably be successful either way, so better to make more for doing the same thing. The only thing is, I don't want to spend a lot of time and be frustrated if I don't have to. We will see.

You can get into a captive situation and depending on the trainer not learn a thing, could easily be a waste of your time. Having read several of your post I would guess that you can handle yourself in just about any situation. The world is full of sales trainers, sales managers, that can't close a door without help.
By the way, lady from Brazil, be careful how you talk about old people, some get their feelings hurt very easily.

You can get into a captive situation and depending on the trainer not learn a thing, could easily be a waste of your time. Having read several of your post I would guess that you can handle yourself in just about any situation. The world is full of sales trainers, sales managers, that can't close a door without help.
By the way, lady from Brazil, be careful how you talk about old people, some get their feelings hurt very easily.

I don't understand. You mean because I call them old people? It's probably better to call them seniors then?

I don't mean to say anything bad about them. I love them!

i'm an old people.:biggrin:

I agree with Thall. Not only do you seem to have the chops for this business. You do not need to earn grocery money today. Sounds like your husband is doing well, so you have a support system. BTW, your husbands tax business could be a great source of business. I would go independent.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Old people smell funny.

Rick

Shave ...:twitchy:

Last edited:
I don't understand. You mean because I call them old people? It's probably better to call them seniors then?

I don't mean to say anything bad about them. I love them!
That's exactly what I'm talking about, you could go out tomorrow and hit the streets and be able to carry on with anybody out there. Anybody can BS a little, I believe you have that carry on quality in you , a gift that cannot be taught.

I agree with Thall. Not only do you seem to have the chops for this business. You do not need to earn grocery money today. Sounds like your husband is doing well, so you have a support system. BTW, your husbands tax business could be a great source of business. I would go independent.

We are not rich, but yes we are ok to not need the money to survive. He told me I would have to spend money to get started but said that it was a good business for someone in my situation. I was in law college in Brazil before I came here as an au-pair to learn English and figure my life out. But I only did one year there and that doesn't do anything for me here.

But he taught me to do taxes (the basic ones) at the end of last tax season and he said I learned very fast (also because I learned English fast-I beat him in Scrabble almost as much as he beats me :laugh:). But I want my own career not just in taxes and he said that without college if I wanted to be a professional I would have to do some kind of sales. He thinks I will be good at the sales. I worked sales in a jewelry store and a clothes store in Brazil before. He says that everyone loves me at first (until they realize the real me hahaha :D). But I am scared about the phone because of my accent so I want to sell face to face at least to start. I love seniors (can you believe I almost wrote old people again!) so I want to start with them.

I know the tax office would be a good place for prospects, but they are in kind of poor areas (Spanish speaking, not as many seniors) and he thinks P&C would be better to get customers there. I almost took an offer from Farmers because of this, but something didn't feel right about it for me. I want to focus first in one area instead of having to get P&C and all the series 6 & 63 or whichever ones you have to get. But yes the tax offices could help me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
That's exactly what I'm talking about, you could go out tomorrow and hit the streets and be able to carry on with anybody out there. Anybody can BS a little, I believe you have that carry on quality in you , a gift that cannot be taught.

Thank you. I just hope I can close. I don't really know how Americans and especially seniors will react to me about that. Maybe they will like to talk with me. But will they buy insurance from me?

Last edited:
lleaoclark;326871 But I want my own career not just in taxes and he said that without college if I wanted to be a professional I would have to do some kind of sales. He thinks I will be good at the sales. ......... But I am scared about the phone because of my accent so I want to sell face to face at least to start. I love seniors (can you believe I almost wrote old people again!) so I want to start with them. [B said:
I know the tax office would be a good place for prospects, but they are in kind of poor areas (Spanish speaking, not as many seniors)[/B] ............

Sign twirlers and foam statue of liberty?
Final Expense and Family plans.
Great prospects to start. Do not advance, go as earned. Do not over sell them. They all have fathers and mothers that they will have to bury. They have all had family members that dies with out insurance.
Do you speak Spanish also? Being from South America, My guess would be yes.

Nike (just do it)

ps.... There is a lady on here named Lyn. She sounds like a strong female agent. You may want to hit her up.

Lee

Back