Working As an Agent Question

ewilkins

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I posted this in the general section of this forum, but figure it would probably go better here:

I'm still trying to decide exactly what I want to do. I have my general lines p&c to start with. I just moved from Texas to Oregon so am waiting for my Oregon license now. I've spoken with a Farmer's agent as far as working as a producer. He's offered me 80% commissions on everything I sell. Has also offered to lease me office space with his office once I'm ready to go full-time. $300 for usage of everything in his office. He has gone over the pros and cons of working for him. Basically I'd be my own boss (in a sense), wouldn't have to worry about having errors and ommissions insurance (I think that's what it's called), wouldn't have to worry about renting my own commercial space, etc. However as we all know, the book of business would be his (he did state this so as not to disillusion me). Told me also at that point, he'd pay be 90% commissions, which I feel is more than fair.

So here's my question. I don't want to really open my own agency at this point BUT, I do basically want to be my own boss. You guys feel this would be a good way to go, or is there a company you can recommend that might be better for this? I want to come and go from the office as I please (actually go out and about to talk to people, etc.). I don't mind being in the office some, but I don't want to be bound by four walls all day, everyday if that makes sense.

I do eventually want to go indy however, want experience before I take that leap. Not to mention that I know it would be easier to become appointed by various agencies with a proven track record.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Read more: Working As an Agent Question

I don't know much about Farmers other then they are terrible in PA and they get a lot of bad rap here on the forums. Most places you go to be a producer you will work under one agent who controls everything including your training, compensation, and benefits. The agent may not have time to train you since he is running the business and you may see little to no benefits.

As you may have seen I am with Liberty Mutual and the reason I started here is because I am not working under an agent, I am working for a company as a producer. I was sent to Phoenix for 2 weeks to train in their training facility, I get a salary + uncapped comm, and full benefits. I too want to branch off an become Indy but this has been a great place for me to learn the business.

I have a contact out of Portland that I trained with who you could reach out to if you'd like.

Last edited:
Back