Is it worth it?

G

I’ve had several agents ask me this question.

Is this business worth it?

I’ve always answered with an emphatic yes! As long as you don’t fall victim to the mistakes made in this scenario.

You get licensed, buy leads, invest in tools, basically spend a chunk of money haphazardly, speak to client after client without writing a sale, and see zero dollars in return for it.

That must be frustrating.

But what if you decided to plan before you jumped in the water?

What if you put your money where your mouth is?

Or, where your mouth was when you said, “I’m going to get licensed, buy leads, sell and be successful!”

The problem I see is that people get licensed, buy leads and don’t sell. I know that many agents don’t know how to sell, which totally surprises me. That’s like cutting tin with a plastic knife, not impossible, but man is it sloppy and difficult.

So is it worth it? Obviously, not the hard way (if you ultimately fail and give up), and maybe that’s why the failure rate is so high in this business, we’re just repeating the same mistakes.

What if there was a way to avoid discouragement and frustration?

Wouldn’t that be great! Well there is, invest in you and your career, but invest where it counts the most.

1. Time: Take the time to plan your attack, each step and what it will take to succeed. Write a business plan. And you’ll need to know your products (competitors too) and some underwriting. The insurance companies have webinars, training and on demand videos to teach you their products and procedures, or at the very least, read a brochure, it only takes time. Invest time wisely and it will return more than you can imagine in both confidence and accomplishment.

2. Education: The more you learn, the more you will earn. If you can take away just one or two insights from a book, DVD, CD or seminar and it equates to you making more sales (and money) for the rest of your career, isn’t it worth it? Example: I’m a national sales trainer, been selling over 20 years and I still buy (and read) the books, listen to audio CD’s in my car, watch success/sales DVD’s, go to seminars and keep learning so I can keep earning.

3. Tools: Choose your tools wisely. Spend on only what you need, keep an eye on what’s going out of your wallet right away. You want incoming funds, not outgoing. And realistically, what do you really need to write sales? A computer, an internet connection, a phone and a pen and paper. Hey, don’t we have this stuff already in our homes or businesses? It’s like our own acres of diamonds. While I agree that fancy tools may make your sales life a bit easier, it’s not essential for success. Brokers wrote sales ten years ago when none of this technology was available, so why can’t you!

So do you think it’s worth it? Hopefully, but more so if you do it right.

Invest in your career.

You don’t have to take a lot of money out of your pocket in order to succeed. Ever heard the expression, work smarter, not harder? Smart is not struggling, smart is being prepared and applying a system that works. Does a company "wing it" or have they done their homework (a business plan) to stack the odds in their favor? You should mirror what works, not what fails.

Remember you want to be a broker, not be broker than everyone else!

I agree, but for right now, one of the few actually worth it.

I have never seen a hard number on this, but have always heard the four year survival rate was less than 10%.

This is a business that can be exceedingly challenging but incredibly rewarding. It is not for the faint of heart or for those who give up easily when discouraged!

Is it worth it? Absolutely! It has incredible income potential, lots of other rewards (think trips), you can stay active until you are 80 if you want to, nobody can fire if you are Indy, if you know how to sell you can always find a place, and you have a chance to do incredible good for people. It is a great business and profession.

Is it worth it? Absolutely! It has incredible income potential, lots of other rewards (think trips), you can stay active until you are 80 if you want to, nobody can fire if you are Indy, if you know how to sell you can always find a place, and you have a chance to do incredible good for people. It is a great business and profession.

I second that, I can't think of a better business opportunity if one doesn't have much capital to get started. The investment (at least monetary) is so low compared to other businesses and the upside is so large.

At one time LIMRA had info on the survival rate of new agents as did GAMA. That was predominantly life agents which is perhaps one of the most difficult roads to take.

I suspect, though I cannot point to hard figures, the P&C business (personal lines) doesn't have the same washout rate as life sales. Health sales probably fall in the middle.

If you are reasonably smart, have the ability to think on your feet, have the drive and necessary people skills you can overcome almost anything and thrive.

Too many fall into this field after a prior industry went south. I wonder how many of the newly licensed agents who were formerly in the mortgage business are still around?

My guess would be most will move on to something else in a matter of months.

Anyone can come into this business and make a big splash, but staying power is much more challenging.

In spite of the naysayers who think our business is on the brink of destruction I can say with confidence that I expect it not only to survive but to thrive. Much more so than banking, lending, auto sales, motor home sales, real estate sales . . . .

This is exactly why ex fill in the blank's are headed here.

I can say with confidence that I expect it not only to survive but to thrive. Much more so than banking, lending, auto sales, motor home sales, real estate sales . . . .

I remember reading some stats when I first go into the business. The drop out rate is 89% in the first 3 years. That was pertaining to being a insurance agent.

I have a good friend of mine that is getting ready to go in to this business. I tried to explain the work that is involved but I don't think he fully realizes. He is going to work for a medium size brokerage house that does some numbers.
He has a background of bouncing around from different industries. I give him a 25% chance of lasting the 2 years.

Back