2017 Open Enrollment Commissions

How many other states are offering "0" compensation?

Varies by carrier more than by state.

Traditional health insurance carriers seem to have abandoned the idea of paying comp on any open enrollment exchange business. Most, if not all, stopped paying for SEP apps months ago. Off exchange pickings are slim.

Too bad no one saw this coming ahead of time.

Alston nailed it.

You can (or could) make money on Obamacare apps, on & off HIX, but the time involved plus listening to the whining about networks, high deductibles, high OOP would drive you to drink.

In Alston's case, it might drive him to want to eat meat.

In Alston's case, it might drive him to want to eat meat.

I kicked that habit over 20 years ago and I have no desire to go back. Doing something new only takes discipline until it becomes a habit. I literally have about as much desire to eat meat as I do to eat firewood. I just don't think of it as food anymore.

However, I did stuff a lot of vegan baked goods into my mouth when I heard the news that we would lose commissions.

I'm back on track now. And eventually I'll lose the extra 50 pounds.:wacko:

There has not been a formal announcement about no commissions from my major two carriers in TN, but I believe it is forthcoming, as neither has offered training on 2017 products (which they have always done in years past by now). Carrier reps are very quiet.

I have been focusing on Medicare and other lines since January with some decent results. I wasn't the fastest to cut my losses, but I am not going to be in panic mode come January either. Income will be down. IMM is the majority of my individual clients numbers-wise, but not income-wise anymore because of commission cuts. Many of my clients are transitioning into Medicare over the next 6 months, I will keep some income on them.

I feel bad for my U65 clients, though. I was trying to look out for them, giving them heads up, etc. Now it is every man for himself.

Last edited:
That's in Georgia, it's 3% in Florida for their overpriced, crappy network HMUx plans that no one will want anyway

They have a great network in Georgia. Especially on their POS plan which I currently have. Unfortunately they will not be renewing my plan.

They have a great network in Georgia. Especially on their POS plan which I currently have. Unfortunately they will not be renewing my plan.

All of their POS plans are being terminated in each state, what's left is pure crap

In IL, all we know for certain today is Harken (div of UHC) - no comp on or off

Rumor is BCBSIL will pay something, will know in few for sure.

As for others - no idea

I've been adding Grps like crazy - all out of my Indiv book

No news in Texas at this time. Good info here. I was going to re-certify in a few days but I don't believe I will. We were told earlier this year by our BCBSTX rep they may pay on exchange and off exchange but no one knows. I have a lot of angry customers after receiving non-renewals from Humana yesterday.

I just wish the companies would go ahead and say. Had a rep at an fmo tell me it didnt look good for bcbs in GA to pay anything in 2017.

Back