2017 Open Enrollment Commissions

We will not get commissions on any Connecticut exchange business as of January. We will get commissions on off exchange business but I don't know how much we will get.

You may be able to find the rate filing for your carriers on your state's insurance department's website. At least in Connecticut, the rate filing includes commissions.

But does anyone still earn a decent living by selling only under-65 health insurance (INCLUDING ACA on/off exchange) and ancillary cross-sell products?

I wish I had used this statement for a recent thread I started :twitchy:

We will not get commissions on any Connecticut exchange business as of January. We will get commissions on off exchange business but I don't know how much we will get.

You may be able to find the rate filing for your carriers on your state's insurance department's website. At least in Connecticut, the rate filing includes commissions.

Alston...you won't get any "fee" for any exchange business?

Wat da???

We won't get any "commission" for selling insurance in Fla. but we will make a flat fee per case. Not much...and probably comes out to 2-4%. Peanuts compared to old days.

Alston...you won't get any "fee" for any exchange business?

Wat da???

We won't get any "commission" for selling insurance in Fla. but we will make a flat fee per case. Not much...and probably comes out to 2-4%. Peanuts compared to old days.

Gulfman, do you find that you make up for lousy OEP commissions by cross-selling a lot more ancillary products during that time of year?

Gulfman,

Is that 2-4% of one month's commission? So, $16 flat for an $800 policy one-time only?

Because if it is 2-4% of annual (in this example, $192), I am surprised a carrier would pay that much when 20% is going to fall off the books within a few months.

Gulfman, do you find that you make up for lousy OEP commissions by cross-selling a lot more ancillary products during that time of year?

That would be the only play for doing this biz, (in my mind).

Gulfman,

Is that 2-4% of one month's commission? So, $16 flat for an $800 policy one-time only?

Because if it is 2-4% of annual (in this example, $192), I am surprised a carrier would pay that much when 20% is going to fall off the books within a few months.

TN, forget about commission. I only came to that figure by doing some math. In my state, ins. is expensive. Avg. policy for middle age person is $300/mth. So, 18/350= 5%. (but % no longer matter).

Never-the-less, its a far cry from the 20% of the old days. AND the carriers are sporatic and no one really knows who's gonna be covering what area (at this point). So far, it looks like only 2 carriers are available in my area, for independents.

WHAT i wanted to know was, "from Alston" in his state? Based on what he said, no one is paying a fee for signing up anyone??? (i find that hard to believe)???

(sigh)

Last edited:
But does anyone still earn a decent living by selling only under-65 health insurance (INCLUDING ACA on/off exchange) and ancillary cross-sell products?

I wish I had used this statement for a recent thread I started :twitchy:

In Connecticut we will get no commissions, no fees, no nothing for on exchange business as of January.

I made six figures from individual health the last couple of years. The income was decent. The amount of service work was my problem. I was able to keep my income up, but the amount I earned per hour was very low.

I'm focusing on my Medicare clients and will probably go back to offering P&C next year.

Last edited:
In Connecticut we will get no commissions, no fees, no nothing for on exchange business as of January.

I made six figures from individual health the last couple of years. The income was decent. The amount of service work was my problem. I was able to keep my income up, but the amount I earned per hour was very low.

I'm focusing on my Medicare clients and will probably go back to offering P&C next year.

That's horrible.

How many other states are offering "0" compensation?

Latest posts

Back