Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Health Insurance and Ancillary Benefits

Reply to 60 Year Old Prospects Asked About Health Insurance.  How to Handle.     
Old 08-29-2017, 08:27 AM   #11
Guru

State: FLM2 is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
FLM2 is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
60 Year Old Prospects Asked About Health Insurance.  How to Handle. Re: 60 Year Old Prospects Asked About Health Insurance. How to Handle.
Originally Posted by entrep1776 View Post
Ok. I plan to tell them:

COBRA is probably best option.

Maybe his employer would allow him to stay on their insurance & he pays the premium.

Costa Rica has affordable care (jk kinda)

They might want to consider a LTC policy.

I'd be happy to give them free insurance review once I'm licensed in September.

Appreciate advice or thoughts.
My advice is to actually learn something before giving out advice although I can't believe a stranger would ask someone studying for their license about something as important as health insurance either.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to 60 Year Old Prospects Asked About Health Insurance.  How to Handle.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:13 PM   #12
Guru
entrep1776 on 60 Year Old Prospects Asked About Health Insurance.  How to Handle.

State: entrep1776 is an Insurance Agent from
60 Year Old Prospects Asked About Health Insurance.  How to Handle. Re: 60 Year Old Prospects Asked About Health Insurance. How to Handle. entrep1776 is the thread starter for: 60 Year Old Prospects Asked About Health Insurance.  How to Handle.

Originally Posted by FLM2 View Post
My advice is to actually learn something before giving out advice although I can't believe a stranger would ask someone studying for their license about something as important as health insurance either.
I thought I was learning something?

Yep people do discuss health insurance with someone sitting next to them on the plane.

If you wouldn't say it to someone in real life, why would you type it to someone on the Internet?
  Reply With Quote to 60 Year Old Prospects Asked About Health Insurance.  How to Handle.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #13
Expert

State: kpbdy99 is an Insurance Agent from Maine
60 Year Old Prospects Asked About Health Insurance.  How to Handle. Re: 60 Year Old Prospects Asked About Health Insurance. How to Handle.
But wait, I thought Obamacare made all health insurance better and cheaper?
Old 09-07-2017, 10:35 PM   #14
FRJ
Super Genius

State: FRJ is an Insurance Agent from Illinois
Where in IL does this couple live? Pull up some current quotes and compare to their Cobra rate, just to be sure! Get quotes straight off healthcare.gov - there aren't any solid options outside that (in most IL places).

I work primarily in the Chicago area market, kind of lousy for health insurance.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #15
Guru
entrep1776 on 60 Year Old Prospects Asked About Health Insurance.  How to Handle.

State: entrep1776 is an Insurance Agent from
60 Year Old Prospects Asked About Health Insurance.  How to Handle. Re: 60 Year Old Prospects Asked About Health Insurance. How to Handle. entrep1776 is the thread starter for: 60 Year Old Prospects Asked About Health Insurance.  How to Handle.

Originally Posted by riskybiz View Post
I would advise him to start a small business as a C corporation before the end of the year. Start doing some consulting and work on his own terms post retirement. After his Cobra expires, he can have a small group, Long term care can be paid for tax-free, and he and his wife will be insulated from the individual market.
Thanks. He & his wife already have a cleaning business so that might work out nicely.

If you wouldn't say it to someone in real life, why would you type it to someone on the Internet?
Old 09-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #16
Super Genius

State: TriciaS is an Insurance Agent from New Jersey
Ask them how he had decided to retire next year, but they haven't looked into the cost of health insurance that could cost them 18%-25% of their pre-tax, pre-retirement income easily. I've seen too many people retire early to be forced to take a low paying job just for benefits until they are 65.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:54 PM   #17
Guru

State: yorkriver1 is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
yorkriver1 is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Originally Posted by entrep1776 View Post
Thanks. He & his wife already have a cleaning business so that might work out nicely.
Careful there, often the group carriers will require a husband and wife to have W-2 employees, at least one, working 30 hours or more a week. They will require tax payment records to prove this.

The cost of carrying an employee may or may not be worth it. They should talk to an agent familiar with small group, who knows the rules.
Reply to 60 Year Old Prospects Asked About Health Insurance.  How to Handle. 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Health Insurance and Ancillary Benefits