Advise Needed On My BC/BS Premium

Assedo

I'm survived from HEP C genotype 3, so all the lab tests have showed the virus as undetectable for a recent 12 month. The problem is that I still have a cirrhosis stage 4 even though my liver condition is well compensate. I have an individual Blue Cross& Blue Shield Insurance PPO 80% with $1000 deductible and $2500 maximum out of pocket, but the premium(I'm paying bimonthly) is raised recently from $874 to $1092 because I've turned age of 50. Moreover, my plan would be renewed in March so that they told since next April my premium is raised again to $1278. However, my doctor wants to see me in 6 month to do an upper endoscopy and all of medicine I take are Folbic and Nadolol which are not really expensive. Since that friend of mine suggests me to switch to HSA ( Health Saving Account) plan with a low premium and about $1200 deductible. Would it really better? Would I really pay less? I have to make a decision by March. I hope some of you have all needed practical experience to be able to suggest me what should I do in my case. Thanks.

Re: Advise Needed

I'm survived from HEP C genotype 3, so all the lab tests have showed the virus as undetectable for a recent 12 month. The problem is that I still have a cirrhosis stage 4 even though my liver condition is well compensate. I have an individual Blue Cross& Blue Shield Insurance PPO 80% with $1000 deductible and $2500 maximum out of pocket, but the premium(I'm paying bimonthly) is raised recently from $874 to $1092 because I've turned age of 50. Moreover, my plan would be renewed in March so that they told since next April my premium is raised again to $1278. However, my doctor wants to see me in 6 month to do an upper endoscopy and all of medicine I take are Folbic and Nadolol which are not really expensive. Since that friend of mine suggests me to switch to HSA ( Health Saving Account) plan with a low premium and about $1200 deductible. Would it really better? Would I really pay less? I have to make a decision by March. I hope some of you have all needed practical experience to be able to suggest me what should I do in my case. Thanks.

A HSA with a $1200 deductible would probably save nothing if one with such a low deductible exists (I doubt it). The deductibles usually go something like $3000, $5000, etc. My deductible is $5400 which means I have to pay that much before the company pays anything.

First, see which HSA plans BCBS will allow you to transfer to WITHOUT underwriting.

Next, ask about the $2500 / 3500 and 5000 deductible HSA plans and prices for each.

I'll bet that the premium savings alone, will pay the ENTIRE deductible that you choose (or come close).

You'll be guaranteed to win in best case scenario or worst case scenario. Plus, you'll have a plan that has a better "defined" out of pocket maximum vs. your current copay plan where copays can be forever, and Rx deductible and copay is separate and forever. Call BCBS, Let us know the numbers, and we can help you analyze.

First, see which HSA plans BCBS will allow you to transfer to WITHOUT underwriting.

Next, ask about the $2500 / 3500 and 5000 deductible HSA plans and prices for each.

I'll bet that the premium savings alone, will pay the ENTIRE deductible that you choose (or come close).

You'll be guaranteed to win in best case scenario or worst case scenario. Plus, you'll have a plan that has a better "defined" out of pocket maximum vs. your current copay plan where copays can be forever, and Rx deductible and copay is separate and forever. Call BCBS, Let us know the numbers, and we can help you analyze.

X2.............................

Thanks, I'll call and ask them. Actually, my existed PPO 80% plan attracts me more than those new HSA plans. On the other hand, it just makes me crazy the way they raise the rates. It is no way for me just to raise a deductible trying to make premium lower, obviously because in such case I'd pay even more annually. Moreover, as I feel HSA is not a miracle cure for my case. So, I still be in a great perplexity trying to figure out what should I do to be affordable insured. However, BCBS has had not a really great spending with my treatment, because a manufacturer's Patience Assistance Program had paid for all medicines. It seems they just don't like my current diagnosis. So, they are constantly doing outrageous raise trying to push me out.I don't believe everybody have $100 a month age related raise as well as $100 a month raise anuually . So, my concern is more about how to defend myself. There should be some way...

Last edited:

Thanks, I'll call and ask them. Actually, my existed PPO 80% plan attracts me more than those new HSA plans. On the other hand, it just makes me crazy the way they raise the rates. It is no way for me just to raise a deductible trying to make premium lower, obviously because in such case I'd pay even more annually. Moreover, as I feel HSA is not a miracle cure for my case. So, I still be in a great perplexity trying to figure out what should I do to be affordable insured. However, BCBS has had not a really great spending with my treatment, because a manufacturer's Patience Assistance Program had paid for all medicines. It seems they just don't like my current diagnosis. So, they are constantly doing outrageous raise trying to push me out.I don't believe everybody have $100 a month age related raise as well as $100 a month raise anuually . So, my concern is more about how to defend myself. There should be some way...

First BcBS is not singling you out...They can't legally. What they can do and have down is raise the premiums on everyone of a certain class ie those with your policy. The one negative of our Health Insurance industry pre-Obamacare is that we are all 1 illness away from being uninsurable and once uninsurable we can not change our health insurance. The carriers know that the Healthy people will every couple of years go through underwriting once again and get a newer policy with lower premiums leaving only an existing block of business that as it gets sicker eats up more and more health dollars.

Two possible reasons why your premiums are spiraling higher:

1. You still own a $500 or lower deductible plan. Cost of healthcare, makes these low deductible plans obsolete. You can hit $500 in hospital as soon as you say "hello"

2. As Norway stated, your plan is probably now closed. Meaning, you and alot of other people in your zip code/state were in the same plan bucket with you. They stopped allowing people to join the bucket. Premiums = medical cost of claims in that bucket divided by the number of people in the bucket. Healthy people who can get approved at another company will leave your bucket. The remaining enter the "premium" death spiral and eventually give up.

Many companies allow you to do an in house transfer to a new plan which may be in a new bucket. Also, many people assume that if your sick, an HSA is not right for you. I disagree. If your sick and on a copay plan, you get "copayed" to death, since sometimes copays are forever. Ever try going to therapy 3 times a week at $35. That's $400/mo right there.

Just get the prices for the HSA plans, then mulitiply by 12. Take that number and add your deductible for your total "defined" out of pocket expectations in 2012.

I'll bet it is less than if you added up your premiums now X 12 plus deductible + coinsurance out of pocket maxium + Rx deductible + Rx copays + Dr copays (take a guess at number of copays you may need)

HSA's don't change the type of care you receive, it just changes the way you're paying for that care.

Back