Aetna California

wildcat

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
No. Cal.
Talking to a California agent today who loves Aetna. He couldn't believe I wasn't contracted with them.

What are your thoughts: Underwriting? Cust. Svc? Etc.

I'm looking for a lead in company other than the Blues when calling small business'. Maybe the Farm Bureau Health Net plans or Aetna. The Aetna 2500 ppo doesn't look bad for the price.

Up until a month to two ago they had very 'liberal' UW. They didn't rate up for smoking (like Blue Cross does... since Feb.) and they would do conference calls a lot of the time instead of APS. In my area I've found them to be competitive with the Blues and their network is substantial as well.

The past few apps I've submitted have been declined for things that would have been rated a few months ago.

The clients I've written earlier this year have had no claims issues so far.

YMMV.

Al

I have found aetna to be really competetive in the 45-59 year old bracket for an individual to be very competitive and that is for the MC 2500 co-pay plan. I have not had any clients complain about claims.

As far as small group goes they are price really competive in the market as well.

I would say that my order of carriers in california right now for individual goes like this:

1. Blue Cross
2. Health Net and California Farm Bureau which is being taken over by Health Net
3. Aetna
4. Pacificare
5. Blue Shield

I'm curious, why blue cross over healthnet? I guess I should ask, what part of California, but I usually write healthnet, then blue cross, depending on the age.

Tonik is decent for the 20 somethings, Healthnet doesn't have anything comparable. In the older crowd, Healthnet falls apart again, but since most of my business is P&C with families, HealthNet is usually a better fit.

I noticed Assurant didn't make your list. No surprise there. In the Bay area, they aren't outrageously expensive, but they don't bring anything to the table to justify the slightly higher premiums. In some cases, the much higher premiums.

Dan

I'm curious, why blue cross over healthnet? I guess I should ask, what part of California, but I usually write healthnet, then blue cross, depending on the age.

Tonik is decent for the 20 somethings, Healthnet doesn't have anything comparable. In the older crowd, Healthnet falls apart again, but since most of my business is P&C with families, HealthNet is usually a better fit.

I noticed Assurant didn't make your list. No surprise there. In the Bay area, they aren't outrageously expensive, but they don't bring anything to the table to justify the slightly higher premiums. In some cases, the much higher premiums.

Dan

I am in Southern California. Blue Cross bigger name recognition, not much difference in policies. Underwriting is more liberal with Blue Cross. But Health Net is getting more and more of my business because of the preventative co-pay on their HSA and the Blue Cross 3500 HSA doesn't have a first dollar wellness benefit. Now the farm bureau plans are being switched to Health Net which in my opinion have the best HSA in california.

As far as assurant goes they are way out of wack. I did a post a while back on comparing prices in california on why such a difference and a typical family of four in l.a. county was closed to 1,000 for their one-deductible health plan.

Aetna is more competitive 40 and up age bracket. I know I a lot of agents reluctant to sell Aetna since in the past they abruptly left California and canceling everyones health insurance plans. If I am going to be offering health plans to my clients it is definitely going to be with a company that is going to stick around. Specially if they cancel all the policies I loose my book of business and all my efforts go to waist. Aetna is also more difficult to deal with compared to company like Blue Cross.

Yes, Aetna has left twice. In underwriting, they tend to raise 25% where most companies raise 50% and raise 50% where most companies are decline. They also take your clients word most of the time and don't pull medical records unless there's major pre-existing conditions. They use a respectable 3rd party company to retrieve all requirements for you, including calling your client if you want them too.

It seems Aetna is stretching themselves thin. Especially since they are adding new states to sell. As Beacon was talking about them leaving the State of California, whether they are just starting to sell low and raise the clients later or they might just have to leave again - only time will tell.

Back