Anyone Heard of USHealth Advisors?

The Secure Advantage plan is a comprehensive plan that is head to toe coverage and designed to limit the clients liability by building in ancillaries affordably that reduce their overall exposure.

Exhibit A: The "Secure Advantage" Brochure:
http://www.ushealthgroup.com/Brochures/Security%20Health%20Advisors/IL/SecVal-BR-FLIC-0712.pdf

Page 4: Clearly states that this is a "Limited Benefit" plan. I suppose some may interpret that as "comprehensive". Most insurance commissioners would not, however.

Page 7: Shows what those dollar limitations are per test, treatment, etc..

Page 10: Existing and Pre-Existing Conditions are NOT COVERED for the first full year of the policy! Usually, the people who buy this plan HAVE pre-existing conditions.

A U.S. Health Advisor Agent met with one of my Blue Cross HSA clients last month. I then went by their house and did a comparison, just to point out the potential financial pitfalls (not to mention the IRS penalties) his family could face by owning the Secure Advantage limited/scheduled benefit policy.

The bottom line is that U.S. Health/Freedom Life's Secure Advantage (with C.I., Accident, Wellness riders), cost a few dollars less than a Major Medical. But it's like insuring your $300,000 house with a $0 deductible policy that will pay no more than $100,000 for damage. You're fine for a tree trunk falling on the roof, but a fire, hurricane or tornado will leave you with at least a $200,000 out-of-pocket cost to rebuild. You'll save premium dollars with a limited-benefit home insurance policy, but on the back end, you're potentially screwing yourself big-time.
-AC

Yeah, what you're going to want to do here is.... pay closer attention to the things that you read. It clearly says "Secure Value" on the brochure you linked which, as stated in the paragraph below the one you quoted, is indeed a fixed indemnity plan.

I realize this may be hard for you all to digest because each plan starts with the word "secure" but it makes me wonder how well you guys know the products that you actually sell. Brutal.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Also, you do realize that almost every major med policy is going to rider and rate up for the pre-existing conditions you have. Allen, I welcome you to sit down and show me the potential pitfalls of the Secure Advantage plan, which I am guessing you don't know much about.

As far as the IRS pentalties, considering what is going to happen with compliant major med premiums the penalty will be a drop in the bucket.
I notice that many of you have "guru" listed by your names and I seriously questions what anyone has to do to become a "guru."

This further validates my point that just because you get on the internet and represent yourself as a "guru" or an "expert" it doesn't mean anything. You are spreading misinformation about products that you don't know anything about.

For consumers out there, don't assume that people on these forum are experts. Yes, some are very knowledgeable but many are anything but knowledgeable about what they are talking about. If have any interest in USHealth products feel free to contact me at [email protected] and I will gladly answer any and all questions you have regards to health insurance.

I have experience in both the major med brokerage field as well as USHealth's innovative coverage that these people are misrepresenting.

Last edited:
STIBROKER, do you realize what critical illness coverage is for? It isn't just to protect the insured against deductibles and coinsurance. It is to put cash in their pockets to offset their lost incomes, pay mortgages and car notes,

yea...a glorified AFLAC.......save the money and put into a 401k.....
For consumers out there, don't assume that people on these forum are experts. Yes, some are very knowledgeable but many are anything but knowledgeable about what they are talking about. If have any interest in USHealth products feel free to.....

to call a broker that sells all the major company's that you have heard of and compare apples to apples to freedom life....the king of association certificate plans..... https://apps.tdi.state.tx.us/pcci/pcci_show_profile.jsp?tdiNum=19830&companyName=FREEDOM%20LIFE%20INSURANCE%20COMPANY%20OF%20AMERICA&sysTypeCode=CL

a B- RATED company ......
A.M. Best Downgrades Ratings of USHEALTH Group, Inc. Subsidiaries

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The rating downgrades reflect Freedom Life and NFL's worse than expected 2010 operating results, due principally to a litigation charge, resulting in a decline in their risk-adjusted capitalization. Last year, USHEALTH accrued for a possible sizeable adverse legal judgment in its non-core, run-off cancer insurance business, which negatively impacted its operating results. Additionally, given the group's concentrated business profile in the individual medical insurance market, the passage of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) creates numerous additional challenges for USHEALTH. A.M. Best believes small medical carriers like Freedom Life and NFL will have the most difficulty adapting to PPACA. While the organization is trying to address many of these additional challenges with expense reduction initiatives and revamping its product portfolio to adapt to the new regulatory environment, it remains to be seen how successful these efforts will be. [/FONT]"

Last edited:
Yeah, what you're going to want to do here is.... pay closer attention to the things that you read. It clearly says "Secure Value" on the brochure you linked which, as stated in the paragraph below the one you quoted, is indeed a fixed indemnity plan.

I realize this may be hard for you all to digest because each plan starts with the word "secure". Allen, I welcome you to sit down and show me the potential pitfalls of the Secure Advantage plan, which I am guessing you don't know much about.

I notice that many of you have "guru" listed by your names and I seriously questions what anyone has to do to become a "guru."

J.B., you are correct about one thing.. Not only do I not know "much" about the SECURE ADVANTAGE plan, I know nothing about.

When I go to the web page for the Freedom Life brochures USHEALTH Group | Brochures and choose "ILLINOIS" in the drop-down box, "Secure Advantage" is not listed. In fact, pick a state. Where is Secure Advantage allowed to be sold? It's amazing how many states have NOTHING available from U.S. Health/Freedom Life.

Go to the home page of U.S. Health Group, Individual Medical Health Insurance | Health Savings Accounts and click on the "Individual Medical Insurance" link that you see in the PRODUCTS section at the bottom of the page. The page that renders is just a page describing the benefits of a PPO Network.

When I was contracted with US Health/Freedom Life, my favorite plan was the HDHP/HSA Compatible plan with the 3 year guarantee. Too bad the premium increased so dramatically in 2009.

J.B., there's still a Major Medical policy sold by U.S. Health Group somewhere in this country, please share a link to the brochure, or whatever official sales material your agents use to present it. T.I.A.

By the way, the "GURU" title, along with the other titles you see near the Avatars are assigned by the forum through some type of automated system. I think it has to do with the number of times one posts to the forum. If today was an example of your typical posting pattern, J.B., you're on pace to surpass all of us and achieve the coveted "SUPREME POOBAH" title before the year is over.

-Allen

Last edited:
STIBROKER, do you realize what critical illness coverage is for?...Your logic is very short cited and probably all about the commission. It definitely isn't looking out for the client based on the things you post here.

So one makes MORE commission by not adding on these extras onto the health insurance?
I always thought the agent earned less commission by not adding extra products into the policy.

Guy keeps calling me about filling out the app and paying the $90.

I'm just not in the mood to part with $90 and you guys aren't making it out to be a good move anyway so hopefully he loses my number soon.

Calling daily just makes him seem desperate and like a typical recruiter anyway.

Allen,

RE: US Health Group (Freedom Life). This is a legitimate offer (Secure Advantage) and I've been selling it in Colorado to small business owners and to uninsured individuals for over a year. I believe it is approved and offered in over 30 states now. Secure Advantage is NOT limited benefit insurance.

1) Yes, it is available with a $5M lifetime cap, but for about $5 more per month/per person an insured can opt for an unlimited lifetime maximum. Best to apply for this at application. No extra underwriting for unlimited, just checkbox request.

2) Optional Wellness/Prescription benefit.

3) Normally bundled with American Independent Business Coalition membership which (depending on level) also provides up to $25K in Accident Benefit plus up to $600 per day inpatient Hospital Indemnity Benefit. There is an AD&D benefit included as well. Also, normally bundled with at least $10K CI to 'backfill' deductible.

4) GWH-Cigna Network. I believe this is now the largest network in the U.S.

5) Personally, I've now helped a few clients through major claims including one Cancer claim where the client collected on the CI insurance plus had a fully successful interaction with USHG for getting the surgery, etc paid to the care providers. All told, it was about a $50K claim. Client now still has about 2 years left on the original 3 year rate guarantee + $4.95M in lifetime benefit remaining. Client's premium is currently about 35% below market for medical insurance in CO + (due to the income that this couple has) this client will not qualify for a subsidy through ObamaCare, Jan 2014. Best guess, without subsidy the client and spouse would be paying (with ObamaCare) more than $1,200 per month for insurance through the Exchange. See kff.org for calculator. $1,200 per month (ObamaCare) is about twice the premium that this client and spouse are locked into for the next 2 years through their USHG contract.

6) Premiums are exploding here in CO for PPACA qualified plans so the Secure Advantage offer is almost always at least 30% below the pricing of UH or Assurant or Humana or Cigna or BCBS. And that estimate includes the CI for adults plus the Accident Plan for the family (or individual).

7) Underwriting is reasonable.

8) I usually leave the Wellness Plan off of my proposal.

9) As mentioned, 3-year rate lock.

10) Not a better, more cost effective, plan out there that I'm aware of. I only sell in Colorado.

That's it -- Fire away, people!. I know how you all are on these boards. I just wanted to help clarify.

Last edited:
Spoke to someone today that didn't claim to be from US Health Advisors or Secure Advantage, but it sounded pretty similar. Claims you get 20 fresh leads per week targeted at small business owners and such. You lead with the health insurance (3 year rate lock, a guaranteed issue, and other similarities) then follow up a few weeks later and try to sell Equity Index Life.

Also has a $90 fee to get started.

Spoke to someone today that didn't claim to be from US Health Advisors or Secure Advantage, but it sounded pretty similar. Claims you get 20 fresh leads per week targeted at small business owners and such. You lead with the health insurance (3 year rate lock, a guaranteed issue, and other similarities) then follow up a few weeks later and try to sell Equity Index Life.

Also has a $90 fee to get started.
Slush ... This is NOT how USHG people sell health insurance. This 'guy' is obviously running a bait and switch, if what you say is true (or if you understood what was said). 99% of what USHG sells is NOT guarantee issue. And the Secure Advantage offer is NOT guarantee issue. It's fully underwritten. I only offer the Secure Advantage health insurance thru USHG to my clients.

Back