Anyone Heard of USHealth Advisors?

Thanks for the welcome to the forums though Sam beat you to it lol. though jokes aside my statement I dont think was brainwashing. its undeniable Obamacare has been a trainwreck at best. it's been ripped to shreds repeatedly by nearly everything except the most hardcore of the hardcore democrats. Im not saying USHA is perfect or anything, just stating a fact comparison....just because USHA might not avoid all the penalties and obamacare doesnt mean obamacare is by default better. I dont know whether I am serious about it, though am considering give it a run for a month or two and see how it goes. figure i can make back at least the money spent for the license and training by then easily enough and ideally quite a bit more also(hoping for 2000-3000 in a month....though won't lie that rosy 10,000 a month figure does sound nice!!! but yeah the 2000-3000 a month is what i am realistically aiming for) for what its worth Im just out of college and trying to find something, almost anything that isnt BS retail just to get some kind of work and go from there. I have read through this thread and another one and it seems all over the map. from glowing praises to middle of the road statements to SCAM SCAM STAY AWAY. it leaves figuring out the truth a bit confusing. regardless thanks for the reply I will look into under 65 health insurance as I have no clue what that is.

Don't confuse the "ripping to shreds" of Obamacare to mean the insurance coverage is bad. With all compliant plans (aka- Obamacare), there is a max out of pocket for claims. The complaints about Obamacare in large part are about premiums.

With some USHA plans there is a schedule of benefits. For example, they have a set dollar amount they will pay for specific services. That dollar amount could be well below the actual charges which would leave a person owing a large amount. These same type plans have no limitations to what the insured could have to pay.

In some areas they may have plans that mirror a major medical plan but do not cover pre-existing conditions or maternity. In addition, they would be subject to the penalty for not having a compliant plan. So a person is paying for "insurance" and still has a penalty for not having a compliant plan. That should be a fun conversation with your client when they get their surprise in February or March the following year.

Of the two types of plans I've listed, the former is a good way to cause someone to go broke and ruin your reputation. The latter is slightly better, but still not something I would purchase myself nor would sell to anyone.

Fortunately you get to make your own decisions and build your own reputation.

^-----------------------This.

sman, good breakout. The poster was looking for factual breakout all along vs. do I or don't I...

Don't confuse the "ripping to shreds" of Obamacare to mean the insurance coverage is bad. With all compliant plans (aka- Obamacare), there is a max out of pocket for claims. The complaints about Obamacare in large part are about premiums.

With some USHA plans there is a schedule of benefits. For example, they have a set dollar amount they will pay for specific services. That dollar amount could be well below the actual charges which would leave a person owing a large amount. These same type plans have no limitations to what the insured could have to pay.

In some areas they may have plans that mirror a major medical plan but do not cover pre-existing conditions or maternity. In addition, they would be subject to the penalty for not having a compliant plan. So a person is paying for "insurance" and still has a penalty for not having a compliant plan. That should be a fun conversation with your client when they get their surprise in February or March the following year.

Of the two types of plans I've listed, the former is a good way to cause someone to go broke and ruin your reputation. The latter is slightly better, but still not something I would purchase myself nor would sell to anyone.

Fortunately you get to make your own decisions and build your own reputation.

Excellent, SMAN.

This young man said he is right out of college, so I will have compassion on him.

Three people got into boats. The first boat sailed in clear weather and went leisurely on its way. The second boat moved quickly, with a steady wind behind it. The third boat was a used up ole heap, ready to sink on its own, but sailing into tempestuous waters.

U65 (under age 65) health insurance is the used up ole heap, ready to sink even in calm waters. And it's sailing in a storm like our country has never seen before. If you are choosing a career, try calm waters or something with the wind behind your sails. Medicare. Life Insurance. Maybe Group health insurance.

You are fresh out of college, entering a troubled industry, being courted by a group that offers plans that are not compliant with the law. Any red flags here?

I'm old enough to be your mama, so this is just friendly advice.

Here is a consumer complaint which sums up what U.S. Health Advisors agents are now known for..

Link: Ripoff Report | US Health Advisors Complaint Review Austin, Texas: 1133338

Apparently they're are trained to sell by omitting negative aspects of the plans, and saying things that simply aren't true and correct. Agents who are using U.S. Health Advisors to break into the health insurance industry, may have no clue that they're lying. All they know is what their USHA trainer-mentor taught them.

Excellent, SMAN.

This young man said he is right out of college, so I will have compassion on him.

Three people got into boats. The first boat sailed in clear weather and went leisurely on its way. The second boat moved quickly, with a steady wind behind it. The third boat was a used up ole heap, ready to sink on its own, but sailing into tempestuous waters.

U65 (under age 65) health insurance is the used up ole heap, ready to sink even in calm waters. And it's sailing in a storm like our country has never seen before. If you are choosing a career, try calm waters or something with the wind behind your sails. Medicare. Life Insurance. Maybe Group health insurance.

You are fresh out of college, entering a troubled industry, being courted by a group that offers plans that are not compliant with the law. Any red flags here?

I'm old enough to be your mama, so this is just friendly advice.

Very good post- it really was friendly! I'm not in my 20s (late 30s) but also interested in breaking into the industry. Any advice for me? I don't mind putting in 80-100 hours a week, the issue is I don't have a ton of money to invest in licensing and buying leads (maybe 5K total I can put in before I need to have money coming in).

Rather than get into details (which are covered by others) here is some sage advice to anyone new to the insurance business:

• Many of the agents on this forum (including myself) have many years of experience in this area with hundreds (or thousands) of clients, we don't fear competition
  • Most of us are choosing to leave this market because of the Affordable Care Act and the drastically reduced (or no compensation).
  • USHealth Advisors is a company with a long reputation of not telling the truth about their plans-they capture newbies and fill them with lies (I briefly represented them about 5 years ago and walked away very quickly)
  • There is no reason for a new agent to believe that he/she can make a living offering health insurance, it's just not viable. There are plenty of other opportunities within the insurance field that are far better choices, just do some research and good luck.

Rather than get into details (which are covered by others) here is some sage advice to anyone new to the insurance business:

• Most of us are choosing to leave this market because of the Affordable Care Act and the drastically reduced (or no compensation).
  • There is no reason for a new agent to believe that he/she can make a living offering health insurance, it's just not viable.

On the bright side, the ACA although failing, has provided new opportunities especially for those with a group health book of business.

Very good post- it really was friendly! I'm not in my 20s (late 30s) but also interested in breaking into the industry. Any advice for me? I don't mind putting in 80-100 hours a week, the issue is I don't have a ton of money to invest in licensing and buying leads (maybe 5K total I can put in before I need to have money coming in).

Hi iuecon99 - The two posts above are excellent. Please remember that most posters on this forum have 15-40 years of experience in this industry. It's 36 years for me. We've helped many newbie agents get their start. We've seen 25 times that number start and fail. There are a few key reasons for failure, and a few of them are - not understanding how tough this business is, not understanding the products, getting sidelined by sales organizations that use you to make sales to your friends & family then throw you out, failure to work hard at prospecting...

I do mostly group health insurance, with a fair amount of IFP (Individual/Family plans). I would never recommend that a new agent enter the IFP market at this juncture!

Group insurance is a very viable option. Since you are in your 30's, obviously very intelligent, and highly motivated, that may be a good place to start. Agents need to be thick-skinned, and you've shown us that you can take rejection and keep moving forward.

What state are you in? It makes a difference. Some states are ripe for group sales and others are not. For instance, here in AZ, we have a lot of small businesses under 25 employees, especially those with 4-15 employees. Those people are looking for solid answers for themselves and their employees. But in some other states, most people work for a large employer. So, let us know what city you are in, and it will help us guide you.

Medicare is also a good place to start, nationwide, but especially in retirement areas.

Most agents start this as a side job. It's perfect for that. Leads can cost $0 if you cold call yourself. It takes time to build a business. Once you sell an account, you get paid 2 months later. Some organizations offer advance commissions, but you should be careful about that. Some agents (like myself) never take advances, and others swear by them. However, there are good advance contracts and bad ones, so do your research.

Last edited:
Hi iuecon99 - The two posts above are excellent. Please remember that most posters on this forum have 15-40 years of experience in this industry. It's 36 years for me. We've helped many newbie agents get their start. We've seen 25 times that number start and fail. There are a few key reasons for failure, and a few of them are - not understanding how tough this business is, not understanding the products, getting sidelined by sales organizations that use you to make sales to your friends & family then throw you out, failure to work hard at prospecting...

I do mostly group health insurance, with a fair amount of IFP (Individual/Family plans). I would never recommend that a new agent enter the IFP market at this juncture!

Group insurance is a very viable option. Since you are in your 30's, obviously very intelligent, and highly motivated, that may be a good place to start. Agents need to be thick-skinned, and you've shown us that you can take rejection and keep moving forward.

What state are you in? It makes a difference. Some states are ripe for group sales and others are not. For instance, here in AZ, we have a lot of small businesses under 25 employees, especially those with 4-15 employees. Those people are looking for solid answers for themselves and their employees. But in some other states, most people work for a large employer. So, let us know what city you are in, and it will help us guide you.

Medicare is also a good place to start, nationwide, but especially in retirement areas.

Most agents start this as a side job. It's perfect for that. Leads can cost $0 if you cold call yourself. It takes time to build a business. Once you sell an account, you get paid 2 months later. Some organizations offer advance commissions, but you should be careful about that. Some agents (like myself) never take advances, and others swear by them. However, there are good advance contracts and bad ones, so do your research.

Thank you very much for the tips! I am in Washington, near Portland.

I'm fine starting part-time, in fact that's ideal for me right now. I don't need to make money right away, I just need it to not be a significant drain on my resources, and hopefully start making decent money within a couple years.

I think I will get licensed so I can look at Medicare, and maybe dual eligibility coverage which I have heard is a hot area.

Washington is unique. You have had "health care reform" for many years there, HillaryCare style. You should talk to some local agents.

I knew an agent in that area that went solely with group health insurance, because the Washington IFP (Individual/Family Plan) market was pretty messed up.

I believe you that Medicare and dual eligibility could be hot there. Good luck to you. You sound like a young man who thinks things through well, and knows when to ask more questions & do research before selecting a career choice.

Back